PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] New to ubuntu - which browser is best

janes604
September 20th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Hi all !!

A quick question for all of you!

Im a die hard firefox fan first off! in the last 2 weeks i switched from windows to ubuntu (fu#k windows BS ) and ever since i have had problems with flash and sound and now the browser crashs when ever flash loads on a page and if it does load it can't go to full screen(all FF problems)

so from what i gather ff3 (which i have) is buggy .... soo
i ask you should i switch or try to mend FF3?
and if i Switch ...to what opera? your opions are welcomed or if you know how to FF3 that would work too.

Thanks in adance

zvacet
September 20th, 2008, 08:07 AM
If you use Hardy you have FF3 by default.It will be better if you described with more details what kind of problems do you have with FF.That way you will get help faster.I use Opera,but it is just my choice.That doesn´t mean it is better or worst.So,you need to tweak or fix FF and you will use it with no problem.

janes604
September 20th, 2008, 08:21 AM
If you use Hardy you have FF3 by default.It will be better if you described with more details what kind of problems do you have with FF.That way you will get help faster.I use Opera,but it is just my choice.That doesn´t mean it is better or worst.So,you need to tweak or fix FF and you will use it with no problem.

Earlier today i complete a pluse audio fix to get my sound working again .

my sound would not work with flash ...every other source was fine
after the pulse audio fix the audio will play Great lol.. but when i would try to make a a utube video full screen it would just flash then go back to the standard windowed mode and a minute later Fire fox3 will just crash and i have to restart it..

sorry if this is not specific enough i can get the link to the pluse audio fix if that helps...

comp specs:

3g
2g ram
7900nivida gt x2
p5n32e-sli MObo
500g wd HD
80G hitatchi HD

Qinjuehang
September 20th, 2008, 08:25 AM
so from what i gather ff3 (which i have) is buggy

Its most likely that Flash is buggy, not firefox. Especially if you use 64-bit linux, flash IS buggy. So a browser change might not help. The best you can do is probably to boycott Adobe.

mick222
September 20th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Lots of people are having these problems with flash which wversion of flash do you have.

janes604
September 20th, 2008, 08:36 AM
The best you can do is probably to boycott Adobe.

LOL

@ mick

im pretty sure i have flash 10 now have to change it get the flash working b efore the sound went....lol
how would have to double check 2 b sure thow
sorry im such a noob linux how do i check

thanks

mick222
September 20th, 2008, 08:44 AM
have you tried following the instructions in the sticky on the multimedia section,that helped me. Still get the occasional crash but usually ok.

janes604
September 20th, 2008, 08:56 AM
have you tried following the instructions in the sticky on the multimedia section,that helped me. Still get the occasional crash but usually ok.

Yeah i think soo... basicly for the last 24 hrs i have been having flash problems getting a little annoying ..

must say overall i really like this OS (ubuntu) better then that bs bill gates serves up for the masses .lol

think im just going to change to opera and for get the hassels

Qinjuehang
September 20th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Opera often does not even work with flash...if you are having crashes due to flash, try a extension called Adblock Plus. Blocks most flash ads (for me at least)

Trebaruna
September 20th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I used to use Opera on Ubuntu, until Flash broke. Adobe finally got around to releasing Flash 9 for Linux, but never bothered to get it to run on Opera. Or Opera never bothered getting Flash to run, either way. Anyway, I don't think it will help you, unless there've been some much-needed fixes in the meantime.
Aside from Flash, Firefox is free whereas Opera is not. So it is better from that perspective...

mick222
September 20th, 2008, 09:28 AM
to find flash version check in firefox->tools ->add ons
You could try swiftfox just googke it there is a deb . It's supposed to be an optimized version of firefox. Are you using the 64 bit version of hardy maybe better to use 32 bit it's more stable.

janes604
September 20th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Hi

im using the 32 bit OS.

janes604
September 20th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Opera often does not even work with flash...if you are having crashes due to flash, try a extension called Adblock Plus. Blocks most flash ads (for me at least)

thanks but i want to have flash on my system ...

mkvnmtr
September 20th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I know some of you want to see all the pretty stuff and won't disable flash so I don't want to flame. I have ad- block, no flash and no script add ons on my Firefox. This allows me to enable only the things I wish to see. The flash adds use a lot of memory and cpu. I think this must be where the problem. I have never had a browser any faster than firefox in 8.04 and never had a crash.

vikram
September 20th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Hi all !!

so from what i gather ff3 (which i have) is buggy .... soo
i ask you should i switch or try to mend FF3?
and if i Switch ...to what opera? your opions are welcomed or if you know how to FF3 that would work too.

Thanks in adance

Please a list of browsers you can try - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browser_for_Unix/Linux

Depends on what you want from a browser -

IMO the fastest browser is the text based browser lynx :)

FF gives you a lot of plugins and is a great browser and I often use it.

The browser I use the most is Konqueror cause I can control Amarok music player while browseing, lower memory consumption and also use it a file manager, ftp client etc.

You could wait for also Google Chrome - I am !