PDA

View Full Version : gnome-panel alternative

aschwerin.moses
September 20th, 2008, 06:27 AM
I know only pypanel.. apart from that is there any alternative for gnome-panel....???

smartboyathome
September 20th, 2008, 06:28 AM
fbpanel and lxpanel are other alternatives.

aschwerin.moses
September 20th, 2008, 07:45 AM
cool.. i install fbpanel and pypanel.. im not able to edit them.. cant we modify them like gnome panel

vishzilla
September 20th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Trayer+Tint is a good combination

doorknob60
September 20th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Kicker :KS or Plasma :)

airtonix
September 20th, 2008, 08:56 AM
The openbox page on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Openbox describes a few more.

to find out how to modify those panels :

1. read the man pages : man fbpanel
2. find the website : http://fbpanel.sourceforge.net/docs.html
3. look for some existing config files : locate fbpanel

andrek
September 20th, 2008, 11:10 AM
bmpanel

urukrama
September 20th, 2008, 12:24 PM
cool.. i install fbpanel and pypanel.. im not able to edit them.. cant we modify them like gnome panel

Pypanel and fbpanel, as well as many other panels, are configured through text files. Read the documentation for the panel (type "man name of the panel"" in a terminal to find out where exactly it is located).

Other panels are tint2 (formerly tint task manager), fspanel, lxpanel, xfce4-panel, visibility (only a task list and pager), kicker, barpanel, and quite a few more.

aschwerin.moses
September 20th, 2008, 06:25 PM
wow.. so many panels.. niceee.. ill try them all.. lets see which one beats gnome-panel

urukrama
September 20th, 2008, 07:18 PM
lets see which one beats gnome-panel

It depends what you want. If you are interested in a lot of applets, then a panel like pypanel or tint2 will look too simplistic for you, while xfce4-panel or kicker (the panels of Xfce and KDE respectively), fbpanel and lxpanel might satisfy you more. If you like something light(er), don't use gnome-panel, kicker and perhaps even xfce4-panel, and try lxpanel, pypanel, fbpanel, or tint2.

aschwerin.moses
September 20th, 2008, 09:13 PM
It depends what you want. If you are interested in a lot of applets, then a panel like pypanel or tint2 will look too simplistic for you, while xfce4-panel or kicker (the panels of Xfce and KDE respectively), fbpanel and lxpanel might satisfy you more. If you like something light(er), don't use gnome-panel, kicker and perhaps even xfce4-panel, and try lxpanel, pypanel, fbpanel, or tint2.
haha.. dont use gnome panel.. ive seen u saying something similar in another post.. :D

chris4585
September 20th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Please see my signature

You'd have to do some editing mainly in the places menu and the system menu, it was designed for openbox not gnome, the only big advantage with fbpanel that i love is you can output the first line of a command to the panel

fbpanel ftw