PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GRUB Error #2, #21 & More . . .

misteralexander
September 20th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Okay, so I'm SUPER impressed with Ubuntu Linux that I'm reccomending it to EVERYONE I talk to...well in doing so, I get some people asking me to install it on their computer. I do about 3 install (laptops) and all goes great...now the fourth guy and his Vaio are going to kill me. Here's what's happening:

Going from: Vista Home Premium, Sony Vaio, 300GB HDD.
Bios: HDD0-160GB, HDD1-160, Boot Order-Optical First, Internal HDD second & a ton of other **** 3rd,4th,5th,6th & 7th.

Linux Partion Manager: "Manual", SDA1-mount "/" 152GB, SDA2-swap 8GB, SDB1-mount "/home" 160GB.
Install: FLAWLESS
Reboot: GRUB ERROR 2 (looked up cause, no boot, perhaps a symbolic link). Read a post that *Sometimes* linux will read HDD in a different order than the BIOS and simply switching what I did should be fine.

Linux Partition Manager: "Manual", SDA1-mount "/home" 160GB, SDB1-mount "/" 152GB, SDB2-swap 8GB.
Install: FLAWLESS
REBOOT: GRUB ERROR 21

Okay, so at this point I've got Linux 8.04 on BOTH hard drives. 3rd time I give up and just use "Guided use entire disk" but that exited out of the install at *some* point (left unattended) and was sitting at the "Live User" screen, reboot only returns to GRUB ERROR 21.

So, I *REALLY* give up and put in my XP disk to wipe stuff and *REALLY* start over. XP can't do anything because it doesn't detect any disks connected to my machine (laptop).

WTF is going on??? How did I get here??? WHAT DID I DO??? I'm pretty knowledgeable on computers, and in Linux terms I'm about 8-months old . . . so be gentle in your replies, but give me help...i can understand most of the dialects of "Linux-eese". LOL.

-misteralexander