PDA

View Full Version : just installed Ubuntu on my flash drive

chris4585
September 20th, 2008, 03:02 AM
This was just to do something with it, nothing special, but yeah it worked, was pretty easy, and I could definitely tell the difference from installing on a HDD and a flash drive, there's at least a 20 - 30min difference on the same fast hardware on installing. I understand why its so slow, but I didn't expect it to be as slow as it was.

My advise is to don't waste your time, unless you need it, because it does work, just really slow.

I"m using it atm btw

FuturePilot
September 20th, 2008, 03:11 AM
That could probably ruin a flash drive pretty quickly because of the number of read and write cycles. It would probably be better to do something like a persistent USB install like how Fedora 9 can do (link) (https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator). Not to mention it would be much much faster. I think Ubuntu is planning something similar for Intrepid.

chris4585
September 20th, 2008, 03:14 AM
neat, I actually already knew that it would kill my flash drive faster, but its only $28 4gb flash drive, I'll more than likely whipe everything off my flash drive soon, I just though I'd mention it to some people pondering about doing what I did to save them some time

jcwmoore
September 20th, 2008, 03:14 AM
http://www.pendrivelinux.com

tutorials for ubuntu and other distros

chris4585
September 20th, 2008, 03:17 AM
lol @ our south park characters

*shrug* I just thought that was funny, I mean when you think about it what are the coincidences of that happening in one thread

init1
September 20th, 2008, 04:14 AM
This was just to do something with it, nothing special, but yeah it worked, was pretty easy, and I could definitely tell the difference from installing on a HDD and a flash drive, there's at least a 20 - 30min difference on the same fast hardware on installing. I understand why its so slow, but I didn't expect it to be as slow as it was.

My advise is to don't waste your time, unless you need it, because it does work, just really slow.

I"m using it atm btw
It's a lot better (and faster) to install it compressed like a live CD.

chris4585
September 20th, 2008, 04:18 AM
It's a lot better (and faster) to install it compressed like a live CD.

how come is this?

JT9161
September 20th, 2008, 07:44 AM
how come is this?

I believe with a live you have better read/write speeds, unless you have a really slow flash drive.

chris4585
September 21st, 2008, 01:59 AM
that makes sense

Well I scraped that small project, I deleted everything but /boot/ and resized the partition to about 175mbs (could be smaller) but thats plenty large enough, and then I edited my actually grub.lst on my system to display a message on grub on start up, so without my usb key in my laptop you can't boot anything without the flash drive

note, I do have grub password protected on both usb and my system

nowin4me
September 21st, 2008, 02:53 AM
Dose Windows recognize the USB key?

It's just because Windows can't see ext2/3 without software being installed.

chris4585
September 21st, 2008, 03:18 AM
Dose Windows recognize the USB key?

It's just because Windows can't see ext2/3 without software being installed.

any computer with bios with the ability to boot usb devices will boot it, and windows will recognize the fat32 partition on it, but thats about it