PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unfamiliar with ubuntu, trying to install mac os x!!!

X_NO_IDEA_X
September 20th, 2008, 02:16 AM
I recently had to install Ubuntu on my macbook to get rid of an ultra-stubborn Windows 64-bit that didn't work. I generally don't use Ubuntu (despite it being pretty great) so I don't know how to find/install the necessary software to re-install my copy of Mac OS X. Any ideas?

Locutus_of_Borg
September 20th, 2008, 02:41 AM
go to store
buy os x
insert disk
reboot
install os x

thats the legal way

or if you still have the disk your macbook came with, skip steps one and two

X_NO_IDEA_X
September 20th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I have the discs, the problem is that when I try to run it, a message pops up saying: No application suitable for automatic installation is available for handling this kind of file.

quinnten83
September 20th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I have the discs, the problem is that when I try to run it, a message pops up saying: No application suitable for automatic installation is available for handling this kind of file.

i don't know how it works with macs, but i would think that you would have to insert CD, cancel message, restart, install and lose your ubuntu in the process. That is the way it works with windows.

Trav1s
September 20th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Place the OSX disc in the drive, reboot the machine and hold "c" down to force boot from the CD. Follow the instructions. X is very intuitive on the install.

X_NO_IDEA_X
October 29th, 2008, 04:05 AM
So the forced reboot by holding 'C' isn't working. I can't seem to force it.
I'm wondering if I just need to download an application that can read the file but I don't know what that would be, as I am quite new to Ubuntu. Any ideas?

OutOfReach
October 29th, 2008, 04:09 AM
So the forced reboot by holding 'C' isn't working. I can't seem to force it.
I'm wondering if I just need to download an application that can read the file but I don't know what that would be, as I am quite new to Ubuntu. Any ideas?

He meant to reboot manually, and while it is rebooting hold down 'C' to force it to boot from the disc.

X_NO_IDEA_X
October 29th, 2008, 06:38 AM
I realize but the weird part is that I can't seem to reboot at all. Manually or otherwise. I've never experienced such a problem before. This is why I'm wondering if maybe I should try downloading the appropriate application to autorun the disc?

jimmy the saint
October 29th, 2008, 06:46 AM
so put in the cd, turn off the computer, turn it back on and follow the instructions it gives you.

macogw
October 29th, 2008, 06:48 AM
1. Put the CD in
2. Shut down
3. Power on
4. Hold down the Option key while it boots
5. Choose to boot from the CD