PDA

View Full Version : [other] hard drive partitions

ns2k2
September 20th, 2008, 12:12 AM
How would I take a hard drive formatted with 2 NTFS primary partitions and combine them without loosing data on both of them? ( I have a second option, copying relevant data to something else then reinstalling XP(I know bah), if this is impossible)

Rocket2DMn
September 20th, 2008, 12:41 AM
AFAIK, you cannot "merge" partitions into one, you would have to copy the data off of one partition (preferably the second one), delete the partition, then expand/grow the first partition to use the newly freed space. I recommend it deleting the second partition because it is easier to grow a partition from the end outward, than from the beginning toward the beginning of the drive.

ns2k2
September 20th, 2008, 01:00 AM
That's what I was afraid of. The second partition is too large to fit on anything else in the house (it has mostly photos in RAW) so It'd be easier to back up what I can from the main partition then reinstall XP.

Thanks tho.

Rocket2DMn
September 20th, 2008, 01:03 AM
I aways suggest that users invest a good external hard drive to use for backup. You should always keep at least one complete backup of your system (I keep more, but I'm a backup *****). External hard drives aren't terribly expensive, and if you only really need it once, it's worth the investment.
Just my .02