PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Updating Ubuntu 6.10 LTS

KunoNoOni
September 19th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Awhile back I switched my server pc from Slackware to Ubuntu 6.10 LTS. Now this was a server just for my personal use. Ihave to admit that I've been slacking on doing updates to it. but if it ain't broken, don't fix it :) so I didn't. infact everything is running great with it. I am very pleased with Ubuntu. but now to my problem. I see that there is a new LTS version out and thought that it might be time to update to the new version. when I installed 6.10, I opted not to install Gnome or KDE. I just installed the xserver and am using fluxbox. when I do a "sudo apt-get update" it runs but all I get is errors. mostly 404 errors, so I thought I'd ask. is there a way to update my 6.10 lts to the newest version via apt-get or do I need to do it from the cd?

oilchangeguy
September 19th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Awhile back I switched my server pc from Slackware to Ubuntu 6.10 LTS. Now this was a server just for my personal use. Ihave to admit that I've been slacking on doing updates to it. but if it ain't broken, don't fix it :) so I didn't. infact everything is running great with it. I am very pleased with Ubuntu. but now to my problem. I see that there is a new LTS version out and thought that it might be time to update to the new version. when I installed 6.10, I opted not to install Gnome or KDE. I just installed the xserver and am using fluxbox. when I do a "sudo apt-get update" it runs but all I get is errors. mostly 404 errors, so I thought I'd ask. is there a way to update my 6.10 lts to the newest version via apt-get or do I need to do it from the cd?

6.10 is not the lts version, 6.06 is. and if you're using 6.10 you can't upgrade to 8.04. you'll need to do a fresh install.

KunoNoOni
September 19th, 2008, 10:30 PM
6.06? hmmm let me check again... I am in error, I am not using the LTS but the server edition of 6.10. fresh install huh... :( its not possible to update to 7 then to 8?

oilchangeguy
September 19th, 2008, 11:04 PM
6.06? hmmm let me check again... I am in error, I am not using the LTS but the server edition of 6.10. fresh install huh... :( its not possible to update to 7 then to 8?

i'm not even sure 7.04 And 7.10 are still available for download. even if they are why layer four operating systems just to get one? your best bet is to back up any data, and do a fresh install.