PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I access an NTFS file system from a program running in wine?

klemperal
September 19th, 2008, 09:58 PM
What I'm asking is can I access an NTFS file system from a program running in wine? For example, if I'm using a DVD ripper in wine, could I select the output be a NTFS file system/partition? The reason I ask is because I noticed I couldn't select my windows partition from a wine program.

scorchgeek
September 19th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I am pretty sure that wine is completely divided from the rest of the filesystem and this is not possible.

The Cog
September 19th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Yes you can. By default the filesystem root is mapped to Z:\ but this can be changed nad other mappings created with the winecfg utility.

iansane
September 19th, 2008, 10:15 PM
If you have ntfs-3g installed and can access it from linux you should be able to access it through wine. Like The Cog said, it's Z drive by default. You may need to use windows commands with the backward slashes and stuff depending on what your doing but if there is an option to browse to point the program to it browsing to the z drive should work.

klemperal
September 19th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

Paqman
September 19th, 2008, 10:34 PM
If you have ntfs-3g installed

Which is installed by default in all recent versions of Ubuntu, btw.

iansane
September 20th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Yeah I forgot. Was thinking of when I used 6.10 and had to install it from add remove. Don't know why. I haven't used that since gutsy released