PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Boot from flash drive, and save changes

MCBTunes
September 19th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I'm trying to find a way that I can install Ubuntu or one of the others on a flash drive to boot from, but then save all the data/changes I've made during the session so I can boot from it again and keep everything.

I know it is already pretty simple to boot from a flash drive... the issue I am having is how and I going to save my settings/data. Ideas?

browners
September 19th, 2008, 09:42 PM
This would be a helpful llink to read >>
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

I have been reading a lot on this. Tried a few install (which booted) but did not save the changes known as 'persistent changes'

I must say I am fairly disappointed that the latest release does not make this process easy. Apparently there is a bug in casper but a work around is available. Not being a savvy Linux guy (not even close) I can forsee problems and long nights of Google ahead to get this working.

I have another Linux USB Drive which works flawlessly. It has the latest BackTrack3 installed. All i did was create the partitions on the usb drag the the files over and double click the install. The forums had it covered rather well.

I am not bad mouthing Ubuntu or the devs who's hard work already put in (i run it on my main PC dual boot) is fantastic, but an easy working USB installer for non Linux tech heads would be VERY much appreciated.
Or a laymans walk through. (hope there is not one already posted... off to check again)
:guitar:

MCBTunes
September 20th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the link I gave it a good read. I found this link, and I figured because you tried that process that I would try this one... looks like the same process anyway :).

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/05/08/usb-ubuntu-804-persistent-install-via-the-live-cd/

Mine wont even try to boot. I set it to boot from removable and everything, I did botch the proceedure and installinit.rd where I was supposed to install syslinux.cfg however I removed init.rd directly after the mistake so that shouldn't have been an issue... I even did the "corrupt MBR fix down at the bottom and that didn't help.

Have you, or anyone for that matter made any progress recently?