PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Is it just me that hates New Facebook?

scratman
September 19th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I may be on my own here, but I truly cannot abide the New Facebook. Now, don't judge me too soon, I have tried to get used to it, but I can't. And please don't assume I'm averse to change, bear in mind that I do use Ubuntu, despite having a legitimate copy of XP. I just cannot be bothered to spend time learning how to use the new incarnataion of Facebook. It is too cumbersome, cluttered and unstable for my liking. My list of gripes includes

Facebook Chat seldom works,
It wouldn't work properly with Firefox 3, I had to resort to using Firefox 2!
The adverts are too intrusive, even appearing in front of Facebook Chat, on the few occsasions that it did work
It takes too much bloody setting up, I like Old Facebook for the same reasons I love Ubuntu, it "just works"
there are just too many options, there is such a thing as too much choice
It is no longer intuitive, everything was a couple of clicks away with the Old Facebook, you need to be a master of the Dark Arts to navigate around the new site!

End of rant, I would be interested to know whether anybody else feels similarly, or whether anybody is convinced that it is me that is wrong.

Oh, and I have just requested that my account be deleted, I gave up trying to get it to work properly!

Glucklich
September 19th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Everyone has a legal copy os XP. They give that crap for "free" with the computer. At least if you didn't bought a computer already with Ubuntu on it.
And no, your not alone on that. I just plain hate every "connection network". You never know when it's a real person or just another a**hole without nothing better to do... what's the point? So, I say: f**k it.

t0p
September 19th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Yes.

Sand & Mercury
September 19th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I saw a lot of people don't seem to like it. I don't mind personally. I don't even see ads, scrolls fine, laid out sensibly.

Kingsley
September 19th, 2008, 09:30 PM
It only took me a couple of days to get used to the new Facebook. They have little tooltips next to many of the options that got switched around.

You could always switch to StudiVZ. It's almost a complete ripoff of the old Facebook. :KS

Squish
September 19th, 2008, 09:35 PM
what would it take for people to do a mass exodus to perhaps another social networking site?

Google was successful not because it has flashy pages, but because it was simple. Facebook was the same. It wasnt flashy like myspace, and it was not overwhelming either.

Kingsley
September 19th, 2008, 09:37 PM
what would it take for people to do a mass exodus to perhaps another social networking site?

The shutdown of Facebook.

Ms_Angel_D
September 19th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I just hate social networking sites, to much crap to add to my already full "must do" computer agenda. You wanna keep up with me check my freaking blog or call me, but don't expect me to, myspace, facebook, or any of that crap cuz it ain't happening...lol

bashveank
September 19th, 2008, 09:42 PM

Facebook chat isn't part of the new Facebook, and it works fine for me..

Works for me. :confused:

The adverts are too intrusive, even appearing in front of Facebook Chat, on the few occsasions that it did work
Are you kidding? the adds are far less intrusive than the old Facebook. There's like 3 text adds up on the right, before there were two or three full size banners.

It takes too much bloody setting up, I like Old Facebook for the same reasons I love Ubuntu, it "just works"
The only set up I had to do was to move a few of my applications around....

They kind of took away choice with the new Facebook..... that's my only real complaint with the new Facebook.

It is no longer intuitive, everything was a couple of clicks away with the Old Facebook, you need to be a master of the Dark Arts to navigate around the new site!

Example? Everything I use is still a couple clicks away....

amazingtaters
September 19th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I may be on my own here, but I truly cannot abide the New Facebook. Now, don't judge me too soon, I have tried to get used to it, but I can't. And please don't assume I'm averse to change, bear in mind that I do use Ubuntu, despite having a legitimate copy of XP. I just cannot be bothered to spend time learning how to use the new incarnataion of Facebook. It is too cumbersome, cluttered and unstable for my liking. My list of gripes includes

End of rant, I would be interested to know whether anybody else feels similarly, or whether anybody is convinced that it is me that is wrong.

Oh, and I have just requested that my account be deleted, I gave up trying to get it to work properly!

I am using the New Facebook.

Facebook Chat always works
Facebook works with FF3 for me
With the Boost for Facebook addon I have no issues with the advertisments, they are almost entirely blocked.
I haven't had to "set up" anything...
Everything works just like it did before
This sounds like fear of a new menu that you aren't fully comfortable with yet. I started using the New Facebook when it was first made available. Once you get used to it, it is actually just as easy of an experience. Also, I don't have to look at everyone's 1.4 billion apps to get to their wall...

Those are just my experiences.

myusername
September 19th, 2008, 11:08 PM
i like the fact that they added the application bar (i never use apps but it was a good idea) to the chat thing...but the new ui sucks

hanzomon4
September 20th, 2008, 01:15 AM
I love it.... but I like new. What's cool about facebook is that my friends are, at worst, just people that I know from school or people that I know pretty well.

Moustacha
September 20th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Oh hello XP to Vista migrators. What's that, it's slightly different? May god have mercy on us all.

I didn't know they updated the facebook look. I just thought they added new features. It works for me. Only thing I don't like is the adverts keep telling me to get a girlfriend =\

Polygon
September 20th, 2008, 07:20 AM
i like the new face book a lot better. Like a previous poster, i dont have to scroll 20 pages down just to write on their wall. and its a lot easier since comments, status's, and everything else are combined into that one column on your profile page. makes things SO much easier.

victor9098
September 20th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I agree, do not like what they have done and I started using the new version at the start of the summer. Switched back to the old version, told them what I did not like they still went ahead with the facelift.

I feel I can do less with it! Facebook is already pretty restrictive in what you can do but I am just not bonding with it. It has just become another social networking site that I visit when I get an email notification while a few months ago I would drop in daily.

Ubu-book anyone?? :lolflag:

Barrucadu
September 20th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I think it's great, everything seems to be better organised and, as previously mentioned, you don't have to scroll past thousands of apps to get to someone's wall. I also find it loads faster than the old one.

[h2o]
September 20th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I agree, do not like what they have done and I started using the new version at the start of the summer. Switched back to the old version, told them what I did not like they still went ahead with the facelift.
That probably means that the other million testers did not agree with you...

I feel I can do less with it! Facebook is already pretty restrictive in what you can do but I am just not bonding with it. It has just become another social networking site that I visit when I get an email notification while a few months ago I would drop in daily
What'srestrictive about it? If anything it seems like there are more features now then in the old Facebook.

clanky
September 20th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I prefer the new one, can't really say why, it just feels better.

Sugz
September 20th, 2008, 03:51 PM
i personally cant stand it, and everyone at my uni who i have talked to also hate it!
its fiddly, cluttered and does not feel natural.
Why break something that was already fixed?

Polygon
September 20th, 2008, 04:48 PM
well out of all the comments here and on facebook, i have seen no good reasons for why the new version is bad. Saying generic things like 'cluttered' dont explain much. what is cluttered? how was the thing that is cluttered now, better in the old version? These comments that 'the new version sucks" and "facebook sucks"
does not do anything, and which is why i think the facebook devs don't even listen to the community because they think that the vast majority of them have no idea what they are talking about, and within a month they will finally 'figure out' the new version and forget all about it.

oh yeah, this pretty much explains what i feel about the intelligence of the people complaining (at least on facebook)

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3918/facebookru4.th.png (http://img223.imageshack.us/my.php?image=facebookru4.png)

corney91
September 20th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I much prefer the new Facebook. But I really can't stand the bar - I don't need Facebook Chat and the Applications menu was better at the top. I did notice that the new Facebook layout slowed down ALOT about a week and a half ago, which was pretty annoying (it may just have been in Opera though...)