PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install program?

RajaAjmal
September 19th, 2008, 06:37 PM
i've downloaded some programs, such as cairo-dock, awn an so on. i've copied the .dep file from /var/cache/apt/archives to another computer (which does not have internet connection) and tried to install the programs. i've managed to install only the awn, and that too after some difficulties, because of dependencies problem. the cairo-dock and other progrms i've not been able to install them.
is there a way to copy programs that you have already downloaded in one computer and install them in another computer?
in windows we simply copy the setup file in another computer and installed it. how do we do for ubuntu?

Delirium_Trigger
September 19th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Maybe it would work if you found a .tar or .deb file of the programs.
However, the easiest way to install anything is with the Synaptics Package Manager.
So to make it easier on yourself, why not try to find a way to connect the computer to the internet just long enough to install the programs?
If its not possible, perhaps try my first method though..

Bölvağur
September 19th, 2008, 07:02 PM
well I guess you could just copy and paste the programs into the other computer... but it might need more with these programs... lets ignore me for a bit.

RajaAjmal
September 19th, 2008, 07:04 PM
sorry i've made a mistake. instead of wrting .deb i've wrote .dep.
as i've said, i've tried to install the .deb file, but it's complicated. there's lots of .deb file and you don't know which one to install.

northern lights
September 19th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Offline dependency management is probably the weakest spot in the shared library concept (nonetheless a very good concept).

As long as the applications you'd like to install are in the repositories, you can still use Synaptic to create a download script and then install with GDebi on the offline comp.

RajaAjmal
September 19th, 2008, 07:18 PM
As long as the applications you'd like to install are in the repositories, you can still use Synaptic to create a download script and then install with GDebi on the offline comp.
can you please be clearer. i'm not that familiar with ubuntu. for instant wat do you mean by repositories