PDA

View Full Version : whats behind gregkhs latest rant?

Najmudin
September 19th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I don't know if its allowed to post this here, but i just want to know what you people think about this:
http://dustinkirkland.wordpress.com/2008/09/18/whats-behind-gregkhs-latest-rant/

TravisNewman
September 19th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Jealousy? I dunno. I thought those google trends graphs were pretty interesting.

Paqman
September 19th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Distros giving each other a kicking is never a good look.

tbroderick
September 19th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Jealousy? I dunno. I thought those google trends graphs were pretty interesting.

It's more interesting that companies I've never heard of like Windriver or MontaVista contributed more patches to the kernel then Canonical.

fatality_uk
September 19th, 2008, 08:36 PM
They are businesses, in the same way Microsoft, Apple and Del are. They all, and I do mean ALL, try and position themselves to be the number one Linux player. When Linux gets out of first gear as it will, the market, both desktop and server will be HUGE, billions and billions of $$$$$. All they are doing right now is saying, "Look at us, those guys suck"

Closed_Port
September 19th, 2008, 09:32 PM
It's more interesting that companies I've never heard of like Windriver or MontaVista contributed more patches to the kernel then Canonical.

Thou shall not speak the truth on ubuntuforums....
Thou shall kick and whine and insult someone who has done more for linux than all of the users of this forum combined instead!

Anyway, if the sabdafl is to be believed, this all will change in the near future, so no need to get all worked up about it.

Sealbhach
September 19th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Yeah, Ubuntu stands on the shoulders of giants - but I think it has the potential to bring millions and millions of new users to Linux and a way that no other distro has done before.

Dell and Toshiba are preloading Ubuntu on their hardware - has any other Linux distro achieved this?

Vadi
September 20th, 2008, 12:05 AM
SuSE actually has. They have Lenovo preinstalls and a bunch of others even before ubuntu was born afaik.

Half-Left
September 20th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Yeah, Ubuntu stands on the shoulders of giants - but I think it has the potential to bring millions and millions of new users to Linux and a way that no other distro has done before.

Dell and Toshiba are preloading Ubuntu on their hardware - has any other Linux distro achieved this?

Lets not get ahead of our self shall we, yes HP have done for quiet a while and dont bring out the 'Ubuntu made the linux desktop' flags yet.

The fact of the matter is that considering how popular Ubuntu is. it doesn't contribute hardly anything back compared to other companies or distros. You can thank the others at the top for alot of linux technology, yes even IBM for their much help with Udev.