PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] BIOS corrupt ..

knightcoder
September 19th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Hello all.

I had Hardy installed(no windows) on my HP Pavilion dv2000 laptop.
There were kernel panics happening very frequently..Something like this : http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3095214.0
[Caps lock would also start to blink]

So, I decided to reinstall Hardy and I'm midway of reinstalling and again the kernel panic happens again (darn !!). So, I tried rebooting and now my BIOS is messed up, I think.

I can see the HP logo when I start up and it doesn't go any further from there. It doesn't boot from hard drive or from the CDROM. I can't get to the BIOS screen by pressing F10(it says "Please wait" and gets stuck).
There is also option of pressing Esc to change boot order in the main screen. When I press it says Phoenix TrustedCore and prints out my BIOS version, CPU and RAM info and says "Entering Multi Boot selection Menu" and gets stuck there.
The third option is to press F11 for system recovery and nothing happens here.

So, I'm basically stuck and can't get to do anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

alienexplorers
September 29th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Sounds like you have a faulty EEPROM in your system. Replacing it might fix the problem. Don't really feel that this was associated with the software. Sounds like a basic Hardware problem.

knightcoder
September 30th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks for replying.
But the fact that it happened while I was installing Hardy made me think it was a software issue.