PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] second hard rive troubles..after using Gparted...

hvac3901
September 19th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Gparted has partitioned my drive (i think) and i formatted it with the mk command in terminal. But even though i can see it in my system menu, i cannot mount the volume, am i missing something?

Also the drive use to have (has?) ubuntu 7.10 on it, and it comes up as an option in just before the boot splash come up in a list of OS to choose from based on the drive. Shouldn't what Gparted and the terminal command did, put a stop to this option at start-up?

thanks in advance.

Titan8990
September 19th, 2008, 03:15 PM
What error are you getting when attempting to mount the drive?

Shouldn't what Gparted and the terminal command did, put a stop to this option at start-up?

No, because Gparted deals with partitions. GRUB, the bootloader, is located in a special place on the HDD know as the MBR (Master Boot Record).

hvac3901
September 19th, 2008, 03:41 PM
What error are you getting when attempting to mount the drive?

The GUI didnt give one, it just said "couldn't mount volume" I will mount form the terminal later yeah, and see what it gives as error?

bumanie
September 19th, 2008, 03:53 PM
If the drive or partitions have been altered, you will most likely have to edit /etc/fstab to reflect the changes.

hvac3901
September 19th, 2008, 10:05 PM
while trying to drag a folder into the drive for storage, i was told that i do not have permission to make the file in the destination.