PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] How Can I Create Bookmarks On My Desktop?

bobsmith2
September 19th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I'm very new to Ubuntu. In XP there is a TweakUI utility called SendTo. It enables me to right click on a file, browse to a local or network folder, and send the file directly to that folder. It keeps track of past folders used, so after the first use, there's no browsing at all. You just right-click the file, then click the destination (from a short list) and off it goes - very fast and easy. Since I backup all data twice (on two separate drives) it really helps.

I've searched all over and it appears there is nothing like that for Linux. The closest I could find was a nautilus script that would send to a device (but not to a specific folder) and the script couldn't remember past folders - so it is completely useless for my purpose. I need something very fast and very efficient.

So... I thought a good alternative might be to create some Nautilus bookmarks on my desktop that I can simply drag and drop files onto. There would be about 10 of them. I was able to create these in Nautilus very easily, but I already have a long list of network share bookmarks there, and I don't want to have to sort through a long list. Plus, I don't want to have to open and close Nautilus every time I want to send a file from my desktop to another drive or partition.

Is this doable? How do I get a Nautilus bookmark (that I can drop files into) onto my desktop? Or is there another way to do what I need? Any help appreciated.

iaculallad
September 19th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Take at this Nautilus-Script (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Nautilus_Scripts) from the Ubuntu Community Page w/c could probably do the task you wanted.

bobsmith2
September 19th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Thanks iaculallad!