PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Add/Remove wizard not showing

deepaksinghkushwah
September 19th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Hi all, i have a little problem. I hope u all will help me. I have installed ubuntu 10 days ago. that was first time i use it. I was trying to install some software using add/remove program manager in applications. but it was showing the error to use synaptic to install new software. that's why i try to remove synaptic. I use "sudo apt-get remove synaptic" command. but it remove add/remove manger too. now i m unable to use this wizard. is there any option that i can reinstall the add/remove wizard and remove synaptic manager.

Please help me.

thanks and regards

mike1234
September 19th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Hi all, i have a little problem. I hope u all will help me. I have installed ubuntu 10 days ago. that was first time i use it. I was trying to install some software using add/remove program manager in applications. but it was showing the error to use synaptic to install new software. that's why i try to remove synaptic. I use "sudo apt-get remove synaptic" command. but it remove add/remove manger too. now i m unable to use this wizard. is there any option that i can reinstall the add/remove wizard and remove synaptic manager.

Please help me.

thanks and regards

Sounds like you have a "big" problem. :) If you "remove" synaptic, how do you plan to install/uninstall software packages? Just seems weird to me. I like to "see" what I have installed.

M.

Sef
September 19th, 2008, 06:23 AM
I use "sudo apt-get remove synaptic" commandI don't know if this will work, but try from the terminal this code:

(ether copy/paste or type it in)

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install synapticAdd/Remove, which is part of Synaptic, is simply a simpler version of Synaptic. Thus when you uninstalled Synaptic, you uninstalled Add/Remove.

iaculallad
Sounds like you have a "big" problem. :) If you "remove" synaptic, how do you plan to install/uninstall software packages?

M.

By using the terminal:

sudo apt-get install synaptic

------------------------------------------------

apt-cache search synaptic
apt-cache policy synaptic

deepaksinghkushwah
yet i m using apt-get install command to install the packages :)

deepaksinghkushwah
September 19th, 2008, 06:24 AM
but i want to install again the add/remove wizard

iaculallad
September 19th, 2008, 06:28 AM
but i want to install again the add/remove wizard

Try using alacarte to bring the Add/Remove menu back.

gksudo alacarte

Sef
September 19th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Try using alacarte to bring the Add/Remove menu back.Easier is System > Preferences > Main Menu

Alacart has been renamed Main Menu > Applications > check the box next to Add/Remove. It should be at the bottom. If not, then use the command in post 7.

deepaksinghkushwah
September 19th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Easier is System > Preferences > Main Menu

Alacart has been renamed Main Menu > Applications > check the box next to Add/Remove. It should be at the bottom. If not, then use the command in post 7.

there is no option of Add Remove in Main Menu > Application > Addremove

iaculallad
September 19th, 2008, 07:51 AM
there is no option of Add Remove in Main Menu > Application > Addremove

That should be: System > Preferences > Main Menu

deepaksinghkushwah
September 19th, 2008, 11:04 AM
main menu is available but Add/Remove is not there. But thanks you all for you kind replies and help.

Partyboi2
September 19th, 2008, 01:19 PM
main menu is available but Add/Remove is not there. But thanks you all for you kind replies and help.
When you removed synaptic you probably removed the gnome-app-install package, so try reinstalling it from a terminal

sudo apt-get install gnome-app-install