PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] another crash: no taskbar now

AlanInVancouverBC
September 19th, 2008, 04:49 AM
I guess this is the way I will learn about tweaking Ubuntu. This is the third time in three months I've crashed it. But it's a rather silly, simple problem.

In my Newbie mode, I was searching files and programs and came across Konqueror. Opening it, I found it's another browser--one I hadn't heard of. Being a Firefox fan, I chose to delete Konqueror (and, of course, its dependencies). Well, I found out that one of its dependencies is the taskbar!
(Gee doesn't this sound like the IE issue with Windows, where you can't delete it without crashing the OS....)
So I can't access Administration, Files, Preferences, etc. I can't get to Synaptic or Add/Remove to repair. I can't use ALT+F2. I can't get to Root in Terminal.
What I can do, luckily, is get online. I have a folder with games in it, with a toolbar that allows accessing the internet, and "getting help online". So I can go to Bookmarks and go to this fourm for help. And I need help!

Joe_archer
September 19th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I suggest that you use a virtual terminal by pressing ctrl-alt-f1 and log in as yourself, then sudo apt-get install konqueror.

ctrl-alt-f7 will get you back to your x session.

I'd strongly advise against removing things that are installed by default, without checking the consequences first.

AlanInVancouverBC
September 20th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Thank you, Joe, for responding. I can't get to root when I hit C/A/F1. I get to...I forget. So how do I get to root?

p.s. It was always this way with me (and I'm sure many/most others: tinker, experiment, deal with the consequences. Since 80-90% of what I do with a computer is online, getting it back up be reinstalling the system, and tweaking settings, takes me about 2 hours. I.E. no big deal if I HAVE to reinstall everything.

But I would still like to try your idea. I just can't get to Root.
I'm still too new to Ubuntu (but 22 years with PCs)

AlanInVancouverBC
September 21st, 2008, 05:53 AM
I fixed it! I found that by right-clicking on the folder that I have, the games folder, I get a menu option to "open with" another program. One of the programs allowed me to access the shortcuts that are on the taskbar, including Synaptic Manager. In Synaptic, I searched for programs or dependencies that contain the word "taskbar". I found what I was missing, installed it and rebooted. It worked!
So after crashing the system 3 times and reinstalling the system 2 times, I'm at a point that, at least this time, I can logically figure out how to rescue myself. That's a rush.

Lizard_King
October 7th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Ubuntu sucks. I finally decided to give it another chance and now when I turn on my pc all I get is a desktop image with no task bar or any controls. I can move my curser around but nothing else.

I know none of you "experts" will answer this, but maybe a noob knows what the problem is.

Lizard_King
October 10th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Anyone who continues to use this crappy OS and this unhelpful forum should seek professional help.

directcharitycontribution
October 28th, 2008, 01:47 AM
u got to ctral-alt-bspace > sessions > x-failsafe