PDA

View Full Version : Game programing?

BluePlum
September 19th, 2008, 03:21 AM
What is a good start programing langauge for windows game development? Is darkGDK a good starter for a noob?

Thanks

LaRoza
September 19th, 2008, 03:27 AM
What kind of game and what are you skills so far?

BluePlum
September 19th, 2008, 03:30 AM
2D, my friend has drawn alott of stuf and wants to make a game with his backdrops and models, so just something where were able to do that.
My skills? Basic VB

Exershio
September 19th, 2008, 03:55 AM
If you're doing windows game development, I would highly recommend you take a look at XNA Game Studio with C#.

http://creators.xna.com

BluePlum
September 19th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Is darkGDK good?

LaRoza
September 19th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Is darkGDK good?

Try it. It is for Windows.

For cross platform 2d gaming, without having to use C++, you can try PyGame with Python.

pmasiar
September 19th, 2008, 02:35 PM
simplest tool for windows-only game programming is GameMaker: no coding, just playing with objects and attributes in GUI. Try some older versions - freeware.

Python with Pygame is obvious next step, when you are ready to write and debug some code. Way simpler than any C/C++ or anything else people will suggest to use. If you are adventurous, we have project (GameBaker, see my sig) to make Pygame wrapper, like GameMaker, for Linux. Alpha, but there are games. You need to learn Python either way, see wiki in my sig.

Exershio
September 19th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Is darkGDK good?

DarkGDK is just DarkBASIC for C++. I wouldn't really recommend it, but you can give it a shot if you want.

C#/XNA is definitely much better. PyGame is also another great option.

cmat
September 19th, 2008, 03:33 PM
DarkGDK is just DarkBASIC for C++. I wouldn't really recommend it, but you can give it a shot if you want.

I remember playing around with DarkBASIC in high school. I know that's a few years ago and it possibly improved but it wasn't at all that great. Highly recommend avoiding it and going for something like OGRE (has nice python bindings) or possibly the Source engine.