PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu program setup

hyperhopper
September 19th, 2008, 01:17 AM
how can i get compixconfig setting manager from one comp with internet that is running windows to one that is not on internet but running ubuntu?

hyperhopper
September 19th, 2008, 01:19 AM
also , i have a ubuntu boot disc to livecd on the windows comp...

howefield
September 19th, 2008, 01:25 AM
how can i get compixconfig setting manager from one comp with internet that is running windows to one that is not on internet but running ubuntu?

Boot from the live cd on the computer that has internet.

Use synaptic package manager, and search for compizconfig-settings-manager then click mark for installation, apply, and check the box that says download packages only.

You can then transfer the package to the other computer via usb stick or whatever.

Think this will work.

jemate18
September 19th, 2008, 01:34 AM

Use the LiveCD...

mc4100
September 19th, 2008, 01:37 AM
If you don't have a live CD, there is another way, but you need to make sure you already have the correct dependencies installed, or that you get download them as well:
Grab the files manually from here (http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/compizconfig-settings-manager) using Firefox on Windows (or Internet Explorer) and save them to USB drive.
Then on Ubuntu, press Alt+F2 and type:

gksudo nautilus /var/cache/apt/archives
then drag the files from the USB drive into the nautilus window.
And then, in a terminal, type:

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

Edit: Of course, upon re-reading, I see that you do, in fact, have a LiveCD ...

hyperhopper
September 19th, 2008, 01:39 AM
where are the files downloaded to

mc4100
September 19th, 2008, 01:41 AM
where are the files downloaded to

/var/cache/apt/archives

Tutigan
September 19th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Or download the .deb files from http://ftp.iinet.net.au/linux/ubuntu/pool/main/c/compiz/
and install using the package manager...