PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Weird problem :-( Has to do with Firefox displaying the wrong fonts

sum janus
September 19th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Hey,
I'm having a really weird problem with my Firefox. I'm on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS with Firefox 3.0.1.

What's going on is that for one specific forum software (http://www.anelectron.com/board/index.php?), all of the fonts are displaying in COURIER (or courier new, I can't tell the difference). This stinks! The only exceptions to that problem is data run through forms... i.e., when I fill information into a form field that displays right.

Now, I ask this here as opposed to on a Firefox forum because, for some reason, I don't get this problem anywhere else. I've checked in Firefox 2, Firefox 3, IE 6, and IE 7 on computers running Windows XP. They display the forum just fine. Which makes me think there's some back-end plugin running for Firefox that was developed by Ubuntu.

Just some random tidbits:

I've viewed the CSS, and it's not SUPPOSED to be showing up in courier
I'm running the theme "Nautilus 1.8.38"
The only extensions I have are: FireFTP, Adblock Plus, RefControl, web developer toolbar, and of course, the Ubuntu modifications

Any help you could give me would be WONDERFUL! Thanks so much!

-Eric

[hr]

EDIT:
A-ha! I've figured it out! I'm almost glad that I got to this before all you friendly people replied... because this is a rewarding feeling! Here's a block of the CSS:

body{background-color: #FFF;
color: #000;
font-family: Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Trebuchet MS, Sans-Serif, Georgia, Courier, Times New Roman, Serif;
font-size: 11px;
margin:0px 15px 0px 15px;
padding: 0px;
}

All of the fonts listed there except Courier, sans-serif, and serif are Windows fonts, and exclusively for Windows! Even though Sans-Serif is listed before Courier, it's called (at least on Ubuntu) sans-serif WITHOUT the capitalization!

Hurray! Since I will (possibly) be joining the development team for that software.... I might be able to help them out by fixing that ;)

Even though you guys didn't really do anything (although somebody may have replied while I'm editing this), Ubuntu Forums just gave me a place to think out loud! Hurray!