PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No sound in 8.041

kjmorris
September 18th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I just installed Ubuntu 8.041 on a dual boot system with two 80 GB hard drives. On Drive 1, I have Windows XP HE SP3 and on Drive 2 I have a tiny FAT16 partition and the rest is Linux. I previously ran SuSE Pro 9.2, which I deleted to install Ubuntu. The system is a P4 2.8 Mhz with 1.5 GB RAM and an Audigy sound card.

I can't get any sound under Linux. When I reboot into Windows, the sound is fine. I checked all physical connections and they are correct as well.

What do I need to do to solve this problem?

TIA kjmorris

nerdzero
September 18th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Hello, I have the same card in my dual-boot system and had the same problem. It turned out not to be a problem with the card, but with some USB headphones I had plugged in. Ubuntu defaulted to sending the output through the headphones. When I unplugged them and changed the default audio device it worked.

Do you have any other sound devices plugged in? Do you have any onboard sound on your motherboard enabled in the BIOS?

kjmorris
September 18th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I did have a USB headset (that I use in Windows) that was plugged-in. I removed it. But how do I re-set the default audio device? I've been rooting around in the menus and can't seem to find it.

Thanks. kjmorris

Pumalite
September 18th, 2008, 09:36 PM

kjmorris
September 18th, 2008, 10:23 PM

When I do the above, this is what I get:
kelly@kelly-desktop:~$ sudo lshw -C sound
*-multimedia
description: Multimedia audio controller
product: SB Audigy
vendor: Creative Labs
physical id: 9
bus info: pci@0000:00:09.0
version: 03
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=EMU10K1_Audigy latency=32 maxlatency=20 mingnt=2 module=snd_emu10k1

kjmorris

nerdzero
September 18th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I fixed the problem on my system a while ago so I don't quite remember what I did. I tried a lot of things before I figured out it was the dang headset causing the problems :)

I think I installed asoundconf-gtk which put the default sound option in the preferences and then I rebooted and everything was working then. Can't remember for sure though.

Pumalite
September 18th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Type 'alsamixer' in your Terminal and make sure volumes are 100%

kjmorris
September 19th, 2008, 03:38 AM
I ran asoundconf-gtk and set Audigy as the default audio device.

I ran alsamixer and set the volumes to 100%.

I still get no sound. :-(

kjmorris

Pumalite
September 19th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Open up all your repos; except src. Then run:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Cephalophage
September 19th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Hi, I have the same problem with Kubuntu Hardy on my Dell Inspiron 1520. It's the only OS on the computer. The odd thing is that the sound worked for several weeks after the installation, then mysteriously quit. What I get from the command above is this:

*-multimedia
description: Audio device
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 1b
bus info: pci@0000:00:1b.0
version: 02
width: 64 bits
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0 module=snd_hda_intel

kjmorris
September 19th, 2008, 04:18 AM
I ran update manager and everything is up-to-date.

kjmorris

Pumalite
September 19th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Do you have sound?

selkie1964
September 19th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I'm having exactly the same problem. I was running 7.10 (which came preinstalled on my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop) under which I had no problem with sound (just a problem with Java, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms). I recently upgraded to 8.04 (which solved my Java problem) and ever since then, I have no sound at all, anywhere -- no login sound, sound files don't play, YouTube videos play with picture but with no sound. I get no sound through my headphones when I plug them in either.

When I click on the volume control icon (which now has an X symbol -- I assume for "not functioning" or "disabled" -- next to it, which it did NOT have before I upgraded) I get the following error message:

The volume control did not find any elements and/or devices to control. This means either that you don't have the right GStreamer plugins installed, or that you don't have a sound card configured.

You can remove the volume control from the panel by right-clicking the speaker icon on the panel and selecting "Remove From Panel" from the menu.

I did a search in Add/Remove Applications for "GStreamer plugins" and they are all installed, so that's not the problem. I guess I need to configure my sound card, but I have no idea how to even begin doing that.

When I ran "lshw -C sound" in the terminal window, I got the following:

WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.

*-multimedia UNCLAIMED

description: Audio device
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 1b
bus info: pci@0000:00:1b.0
version: 02
width: 64 bits
capabilities: bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0

I'm pretty wet-behind-the-ears when it comes to linux, so I have no idea how to fix this problem. Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

kjmorris
September 19th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Do you have sound?

No. I ran the updates and I still have no sound and no idea what to do next.

Pumalite
September 19th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Try:
1. change the sound options from auto detect to ALSA
2. sudo pkill pulseaudio

kjmorris
September 19th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Try:
2. sudo pkill pulseaudio

I just did both and still no sound. :-(

I went back to my ******* partition just to double-check and sound is working normally there.

Pumalite
September 19th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Try:
sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-generic
Reboot

kjmorris
September 19th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Try:
sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-generic
Reboot

I did the above and still no sound.

nerdzero
September 19th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Try:
2. sudo pkill pulseaudio

Hey this reminded me of something else I did when I had this problem. I got rid of pulse audio by going to System > Preferences > Sound. I then changed everything to ALSA. Hope that helps.

kjmorris
September 19th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Hey this reminded me of something else I did when I had this problme. I got rid of pulse audio by going to System > Preferences > Sound. I then changed everything to ALSA. Hope that helps.

I changed everything from auto-detect to ALSA but still no sound!

nerdzero
September 19th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Not sure, but maybe this will be a clue for someone more knowledgeable in the intricacies of sound drivers. The configuration reported by 'lshw -C sound' for me showed...

driver=EMU10K1_Audigy latency=64 maxlatency=20 mingnt=2 module=snd_emu10k1

Notice the latency is 64 where yours was 32. I'm not sure if makes a difference though :confused:

nerdzero
November 7th, 2008, 03:30 AM
kjmorris, I recently installed 8.10 and lost my sound again. I did not have the headphones plugged in this time either. Here's how I got it back:

System > Preferences > Sound

I changed Sound playback from Autodetect to Audigy 1 [SB0090].....Multichannel Playback(ALSA)

Then, (this is what made it work) I went to the Volume Control preferences, changed the device to Audigy 1 [SB0090] (Alsa mixer), went to the Switches tab, and unchecked the "Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack" checkbox.

I still don't have sound in Flash, but everything else seems to be working.