PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Headphone jack

shortylonglegs
September 18th, 2008, 06:47 PM
This isn't an Ubuntu question, but I didn't know where to ask that I could get an honest reply, and everyone here seems to be pretty intelligent. A little while ago, I was listening to music over my headphones on my Dell Inspiron 630m while sitting on my couch. For some reason I can't remember, I had to get up really fast, and caught the headphone on something, which seems to have knocked it askew inside the computer. Now the audio only works every now and then, requiring me to jostle the headphone plug around in the socket for me to get even mediocre sound quality. My question is how can I fix this? Could I just crack it open myself and re-solder the connections or something?

And where should any future post like this go?

Marat89
September 18th, 2008, 07:00 PM
have u dell gurantee?

shortylonglegs
September 18th, 2008, 09:01 PM
No, sorry forgot to mention, its about 5 years old. No guarantees or anything anywhere, and not the end of the world if its destroyed, but I do like having it around.

markbuntu
September 18th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Those jacks are usually embedded in a molded plastic holder with a whole bunch of little tiny wires connected to it or it is soldered onto the motherboard so fixing or even replacing the jack would not be very easy. Radio Shack sells little tiny jacks like that. Good luck.

prshah
September 18th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Now the audio only works every now and then, requiring me to jostle the headphone plug around in the socket for me to get even mediocre sound quality.

I'd suggest that you check the _headphone_ first; I don't anything could have actually happened to the 'phone jack.

If the headphones are fine, try shining a penlight into the jack to see if any (metal) stips are obviously out of place.

Finally, if it's not livable, then I guess you can try to go ahead and open up the laptop. First look for a service manual pdf for the particular model on the 'net, though.

shortylonglegs
September 18th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Yes, its the jack itself, I've tried at least 4 different sets of headphones and they all have the same issue. The plug itself is wobbling around, even the little bit of plastic on the outside of the case.
Should I just Google for a service manual or is there a particular site/process I should go through?

markbuntu
September 18th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I did that to my headphone jack a few months ago. Totally kludged it. Only sound out of the left side, even in the speaker outputs. Luckily it is a desktop so I got a new jack panel and plugged it in and it was fixed. Then I bought a new sound card.

If that jack has wires leading to plugs on the motherboard, you may get lucky and find something that will fit. Dell might even have one.

prshah
September 19th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Should I just Google for a service manual or is there a particular site/process I should go through?

Yes, google is your best bet. You can also try www.driverguide.com (requires "free" membership).

I usually find Thinkpad and old Compaq service manuals very easily, don't know about Dell.