PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] JOptionPanes always crash

semitone36
September 18th, 2008, 06:38 PM
:)Hi!

This is a bit of a strange question. Im a freshman CompSci major and Im learning Java in a programming class. I use gedit on my laptop to write my programs. The problem is that whenever I write a program that invoves the methods (not sure if thats the right terminology but whatever) JOptionPane.showInputDialog or JOptionPane.showMessageDialog the window that this produces always freezes and get an error message that says "**** is not responding" and I have to force quit the window to get it off my screen.

I know that there is nothing wrong with my source code because I can compile and run it just fine on other computers (using Kate)but for some reason it wont work on my laptop. Has anyone had problems with this before? Is it a gedit bug? Any help is appreciated.:)

rlzyoner
September 18th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Are you compiling and running from the command line ?

semitone36
September 18th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Yup. I use the javac and java commands to compile/execute it.

xlinuks
September 18th, 2008, 09:26 PM
rlzyoner probably means to post the error stack trace if any, or file a bug report.

semitone36
September 18th, 2008, 09:40 PM
post the error stack trace if any, or file a bug report.

Haha Ill have to remind you that Im a freshman CompSci major. How do I do that?

Reiger
September 18th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Running from a commandline should make it dump all errors to the shell, so just select that and copy it from your shell?

Anywho: you sure you have a JDK by SUN installed and not the GNU version (only). Because the latter one isn't fully compatible with Swing (seen other users try the same and see it break on the GNU interpreter), and at any rate it isn't nowhere near Sun's in terms of supported Java constructs.

semitone36
September 18th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Sorry I should have been more clear. The error message I get doesnt appear through the terminal. I get it when I click the close button on the window that is run from my program. Much like when Internet Explorer freezes and when you try to x-out of it you get a message saying "internet explorer is not responding..." So i dont have a specific error to refer to. (if I understand what you are asking for)

As for my compiler I am 99% positive I am running JDK for I had specifically downloaded and installed it for my class. Is there a command I could use to prove that JDK is my default program?

drubin
September 18th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Post the out put of this please.

java -version
javac -version

I have never had an issue with java/JoptionPanes on linux/windows. do any other components cause issues?

EDIT: Highly recommend using the SUN version as well!

semitone36
September 18th, 2008, 11:26 PM
do any other components cause issues?

Not that I am aware of as of yet but Ive only been a "programmer" for about 3 weeks so there is plenty of time for me to find out. Im not at my laptop at the moment but Ill post the output as soon as I get to it.

semitone36
September 19th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Okay so i ran the commands and you may have been right Reiger, I think Im using the GNU JDK:

travis@travis-laptop:~$ java -version
java version "1.5.0"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu6)

Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

travis@travis-laptop:~$ javac -version
javac 1.6.0_06

How can I fix this?

semitone36
September 21st, 2008, 08:55 PM
Anybody?

drubin
September 21st, 2008, 08:58 PM
Sorry for the late answer been a busy week end.

Try this
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JavaInstallation

semitone36
September 22nd, 2008, 11:44 PM
Sorry for the late answer been a busy week end.

Haha same here.

Thanks so much for the link everything works just fine now! God I love these forums!
:guitar: