PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Dual Boot XP 64?

bhart007
September 18th, 2008, 03:48 AM
Ok I know this is a noob question.. it's just that I've never bothered with Dual booting. Ok Does Windows have to be installed first or can you throw it on an already running Ubuntu machine?

Also would 64-bit make any difference to the linux side?

Thanks!

overdrank
September 18th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Ok I know this is a noob question.. it's just that I've never bothered with Dual booting. Ok Does Windows have to be installed first or can you throw it on an already running Ubuntu machine?

Also would 64-bit make any difference to the linux side?

Thanks!

Hi and you can install windows after Ubuntu and this link can help
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows
As for installing 64 bit it should make no difference to the already installed OS.

iaculallad
September 18th, 2008, 04:03 AM
It's a good idea to install your ******* OS first before installing Ubuntu, doing this will automatically include ******* in your GRUB menu list startup boot option.
There will be no difference when dual booting both ******* 64-bit and an Ubuntu 32-bit version as they're two different entity.

ronbie_68
September 18th, 2008, 04:23 AM
I too am a newbie to Ubuntu. In fact i am a newbie to Linux period. I have vista Ultimate 32 bit on a 64 bit dual core and with the Live Cd install for the (hardy) flavor it installed like a dream.

Ive read many, many forums before installing Ubuntu and if you just google a lot and read what you're looking for from multiple people that know what their talking about, I don't see you having any issue installing next to 64 bit xp. Make sure not to pre-partion your HD. Its much easier to let gparted do it during the install. It will even automatically account for swap partion during install and allow you to shrink your windows partition. Also make sure to backup important files on you HD first. You never know what can happen.

Kudos to the people working on this (Ubuntu) project as you have made easy enough even for the most novice of users to install and use. Now we have a choice.

bhart007
September 18th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Ahh ok I think I see it now. By installing windows after ubuntu.. it will overwrite the MBR. Following the link from Overdrank, I should use those instructions to "rebuild" the MBR and Grub to include both ubuntu and winblows?

overdrank
September 18th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Ahh ok I think I see it now. By installing windows after ubuntu.. it will overwrite the MBR. Following the link from Overdrank, I should use those instructions to "rebuild" the MBR and Grub to include both ubuntu and winblows?

Hi and yes, have you consider just using windows in virtual machine within Ubuntu?

iaculallad
September 18th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Hi and yes, have you consider just using windows in virtual machine within Ubuntu?

That would be a good choice, doing just a VM within Ubuntu :)

ronbie_68
September 18th, 2008, 05:08 AM
It's a good idea to install your ******* OS first before installing Ubuntu, doing this will automatically include ******* in your GRUB menu list startup boot option.
There will be no difference when dual booting both ******* 64-bit and an Ubuntu 32-bit version as they're two different entity.
I agree. Based on the other forums i've read you are better off installing with windows already installed. Unless you're familly with editing Bios settings. I'm not but could afford to play with mine. Using 64 bit should not make a difference.