PDA

View Full Version : LHC becomes "Halo"

klange
September 18th, 2008, 02:38 AM
Forget about the yawn-inducing Large Hadron Collider.

The name "Halo" sounds much catchier and should adorn the £4.4 billion experiment, according to a poll organised by the Royal Society of Chemistry in London

The public have decided the Large Hadron Collider should have the catchier name Halo

The Large Hadron Collider does what it says on the tin, since hadron refers to the subatomic particles that the giant machine smashes together at a shade below the speed of light.

But this "fails to reflect the drama of its mission, or the inspiration it should be conveying to the wider public," says Dr Richard Pike, chief executive of the Society.

The Society launched a competition to suggest an inspiring name for the 17 mile circumference machine, which is going to smash its first particles next week at the European Organisation for Nuclear Research in Geneva, known by its French acronym Cern.

After sifting more than 2,500 responses, ranging from The Big Banger to Infinite Devil Machine and The Matter Splatterer, it has now selected a winner to rechristen the vast enterprise.

Fed up with "the contrived acronyms that plague the world of science," the RSC says it "picked a suggestion which is simple, memorable, and brings to mind the deserved grandeur of perhaps the most important experiment ever built."

[snip]

(source: Telegraph.co.uk) (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/earth/2008/09/17/scilhc117.xml)

I was honestly expecting "Black Mesa"...

Lord Xeb
September 18th, 2008, 02:44 AM
I like "Black Mesa" but I also like the term "Halo" as it siginifies the human race trying to get a greater understanding of the world around us.

zmjjmz
September 18th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Will we get to shoot people on the LHC then?
Also, I think they wanted to avoid large hardon jokes.

klange
September 18th, 2008, 03:07 AM

The could have at least chosen a name that didn't involve utter failure.

Halo is, in the context given by the name for LHC, a superweapon capable of destroying all sentient life within "one galactic radii".

Though "Black Mesa" still would have been bad, it hasn't caused the complete fall of a race of beings yet (we'll have to wait for EP3 to see what happens).

FuturePilot
September 18th, 2008, 03:21 AM

I could see a game coming out of this. :lol:

Canis familiaris
September 18th, 2008, 04:04 AM
I could see a game coming out of this. :lol:

Maybe an HL2 mod?

Tomosaur
September 18th, 2008, 04:33 PM
The fundies are going to see this as a snipe at them, you know :P

gnuvistawouldbecool
September 18th, 2008, 05:29 PM
While I must say that is quite funny, I was really expecting The One Ring to be chosen.

Maybe if they'd done it 4 years ago....

That said, BOB would have been great.

rune0077
September 18th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Forget about the yawn-inducing Large Hadron Collider.

I think they should just have called it that. "The yawn-inducing Collider". Sounds about right to me.