PDA

View Full Version : Python people, is this serious?

adamogardner
September 18th, 2008, 01:35 AM
here is a website: http://www.pythonchallenge.com/ as you can see it is a challenge. Go ahead and click on get challenged and it's a picture of a computer and the instructions are: "change the url" Can someone explain this if they care to be "challenged"? It seems like A gag for idiots to get them clicking on a dead screen.

jken146
September 18th, 2008, 01:38 AM
I don't think you've solved it then...

cardinals_fan
September 18th, 2008, 01:41 AM
I beat the blank screen, but there only seems to be one other level.

2**38 is much much larger.

damis648
September 18th, 2008, 01:42 AM
ARGH! I dont get it! I tried 238 but it told me 38 is above it. I tried a million other things... I don't get it!

EDIT: Never mind!

Buffalo Soldier
September 18th, 2008, 01:42 AM
I don't think you understand the challenge :) This one is pretty easy to solve... you should see the next few questions :p

adamogardner
September 18th, 2008, 02:00 AM
so it is legit? I'm only on chapther seven of learning Python and well I don't get it at all. can I have a hint please? i'm trying to learn it afap.
there is nowhere to type anything. You got to be kidding?!

cardinals_fan
September 18th, 2008, 02:28 AM
so it is legit? I'm only on chapther seven of learning Python and well I don't get it at all. can I have a hint please? i'm trying to learn it afap.
there is nowhere to type anything. You got to be kidding?!
Read the clue a few times and think outside the box (literally).

rune0077
September 18th, 2008, 02:41 AM
First one was easy. My calculator could do that. The second requires some Python, and I know none, so I was stuck there. I cracked the code, though, just didn't know what to do with it afterwards.

myusername
September 18th, 2008, 03:16 AM
the first one was very easy. i just couldnt crack the second one

cardinals_fan
September 18th, 2008, 03:37 AM
the first one was very easy. I just couldnt crack the second one
+1

LaRoza
September 18th, 2008, 04:26 AM
Because of the iffy fate of the OPP and this is a programming question, moved.

thelamb
September 18th, 2008, 08:29 AM
If you like this site you probably like http://www.projecteuler.net
I guess it is like the site you mentioned, you need to solve mathmatical problems(using any language you like, for some problems you don't need programming but for most you do). It's a great way to practice math and programming skills. I guess most of you are fammilliar with the site but thought I'd post it anyway.

nvteighen
September 18th, 2008, 11:31 AM
btw, note that in the Python world, people try not be "serious". Have you ever read the official documentation? First, its full of Monty Python references. Second, its written in a very light style, easy to read, very differently to a technical paper.

It's just the Python philosophy...

cb951303
September 18th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I'm at 5th challenge, all done in c, got bored of it though :lolflag:

adamogardner
September 18th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I'm glad yuo are all having a nice time with it. I'm on 1st one still. I'll look at it again in a few weeks, after continued study since nobody wants to help a brother out?!

In this case I don't think I'd be cheating myself to get the answer since I would use the answer to expedite my mastery of whatever it is I'm doing; Programming I suppose

unutbu
September 18th, 2008, 05:32 PM
When you have a guess for an answer, test it by forming a new url of the form

http://www.pythonchallenge.com/pc/def/XXXX.html

where XXXX is your answer.

(And at least for the first challenge, ask yourself, what would the python interpreter do?)

cb951303
September 18th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I'm glad yuo are all having a nice time with it. I'm on 1st one still. I'll look at it again in a few weeks, after continued study since nobody wants to help a brother out?!

In this case I don't think I'd be cheating myself to get the answer since I would use the answer to expedite my mastery of whatever it is I'm doing; Programming I suppose

actually it's not necessarily related to programming.

adamogardner
September 18th, 2008, 06:47 PM
actually it's nothing necessarily related to programming.

whatever

I just saw a "solutions" button at the top of the page and now I feel like an idiot for having asked in the first place. too bad there is not a "hints" button.

Ripfox
September 19th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Because of the iffy fate of the OPP and this is a programming question, moved.

Say it ain't so.

lakersforce
September 19th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I'll look at it again in a few weeks, after continued study since nobody wants to help a brother out?!

The 38th factorial of 2 is...?

dodle
September 19th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I solved the riddle for question 2, but I'm not sure of what it's telling me to do with the url.

cb951303
September 19th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I solved the riddle for question 2, but I'm not sure of what it's telling me to do with the url.

*************SPOILER************************
apply the same algorithm to url (map)
*************SPOILER************************

Reiger
September 19th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Yes and the challenge past that one isn't too difficult either. In fact, I solved them with a little *PHP* code (given I don't know Python just yet). ;)

cb951303
September 19th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Yes and the challenge past that one isn't too difficult either. In fact, I solved them with a little *PHP* code (given I don't know Python just yet). ;)

I have done the first 5 challenges in C. but AFAIK challenge 5 "pick hell" is only done in python. it may be implemented in another language but it's just too time consuming :) so that's where I stopped. I'm telling you this because if you don't know about "pick hell(!)" don't try it in another language :)

Kadrus
September 19th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Well it can be Python **related**.You can use the Calculator inside the Python interpreter to find the answer.

cb951303
September 20th, 2008, 11:06 AM
does anyone know any similar site?