PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Remote Desktop, functionality, fine tuning and streamlining help

Corrupter
September 17th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Greetings guys, and i know some of you are sighing about the name thinking that this is another one of those noob questions and i hope its not. As well, if anyone knows of a decent guide or resource that answers these questions just point it out, i did some searching both here and on google and found alot of good sources but none that answered these questions.

My question is, i realize that ubuntu has a remote desktop ability built into using a vnc type application, and i love how simple and smooth that is;

I also am quite fond of SSH and understand it has a X-window redirection ability in it that allows me to run a x session to through SSH. I love that but can be a bit clunky to use but i love that its alot more secure;

However my question is which is more reliable, functional and fully featured furthermore i would be accessing this machine via both a windows machine and another linux machine on the network at times and so if there is additional software i must install from the viewing machine or on the viewed machine please let me know. All in all, im looking for a solution that is semi-secure (doesnt have to be iron) but JUST works.

Thanks in advance.

on a bit of a side note so far im noticing that the vnc only allows the viewing of current logged in sessions, i may not always be at liberty to log in locally and then access the desktop remotely. (essentially i need the ability for this system to be headless at times) am i wrong so far in my findings? i'll keep searching.

I'd like to keep things simple but for the sake of functionality i dont mind having to get a bit dirty and complicated.

Lastly, my impression of whats happening may actually be different than what actually is. Currently

Corrupter
September 17th, 2008, 11:51 PM
currently it seems with the vnc im only able to connect to an already open user session. I'd like to be able to log in remotely independant of who is already currently logged in. I am doing some research to see if thats possible with my current configuration but its seeming like i might have to install another package?

Sorry, i know this sort of thing usually gets people up in arms about how i should be reading mans and googlin and whatnot, i assure you i am.

Corrupter
September 18th, 2008, 06:37 PM
bump

Corrupter
September 23rd, 2008, 08:47 PM
bump