PDA

View Full Version : Typing: WPM

Sinkingships7
September 17th, 2008, 10:34 PM
The recent thread on touch-typing (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=922552) gave me the idea to start this thread.

Using a standard QWERTY keyboard, how many words per minute can you type? Note: WORDS per minute, not strokes. You can figure out a fairly accurate estimate of your WPM by using this site (http://www.typingtest.com/). If you'd be so kind, please play fair and don't attempt to cheat in any way. I would say that 2 times is fair: one for a quick warm-up, and another as your final. Any more times, and I feel that it wouldn't give the fairest results, as you would know what you were going to type ahead of time, and would have had too much practice with it.

The poll included has separate options for those who touch-type, and those who do not. I'll start. I type an average of 85 words per minute, touch-typing.

Have fun!

mike1234
September 17th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Not fast at all. Too lazy to learn qwerty. A couple fingers do the trick.

M.

Dr Small
September 17th, 2008, 10:42 PM
25-49 [Touch typing] on Dvorak. I don't use QWERTY. :|
Of course, I started Dvorak at the beginnig of this year, also.

kef_kf
September 17th, 2008, 10:47 PM
25-49 touch typing.
Then again i use a keyboard layout designed for my native language so it is kinda difficult to type in english (eg: x,w,q are all assigned to the right pinky).

LaRoza
September 17th, 2008, 11:15 PM
I use QWERTY (US-International layout) and Bolnagari. I haven't done extensive typing with Bolnagari.

(for those who don't know: http://www.indlinux.org/wiki/index.php/BolNagri)

75-99 [touch-typing]

NovaAesa
September 17th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Dvorak, about 60-70 wpm when I really crank up the speed and type as fast as I can.

SomeGuyDude
September 18th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Topped out at 121wpm once. If I'm transcribing and really pounding the words out, about 105. Casually I sit more at 80-ish.

Bölvağur
September 18th, 2008, 01:29 AM
46 WPM @ touch typing

Probably could do much better in my own language. Actually I'm typing considerably faster atm because I know what I am going to say... #$%&"#$ no good English #$"#$ :lolflag: I think I typed as slow as I can read :)

Kingsley
September 18th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Net Speed: 78 WPM
(words/minute)
Accuracy: 89%
Gross Speed: 87 WPM
(words/minute)

I'm sure I'd be faster if I did this 1 or 2 more times.

gn2
September 18th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Haven't a clue, can type almost as fast as I can write.
I'm a slow writer....

cardinals_fan
September 18th, 2008, 01:49 AM
52 WPM touch-typing

I'm usually faster, because I'm usually allowed to be careless and then fix my mistakes.

Lord Xeb
September 18th, 2008, 02:38 AM
I messed up on the poll. I type about 100+ on the keyboard and about 30-50 WPM on the QWERTY keyboard.

klange
September 18th, 2008, 02:55 AM
I hate these test, I would never type any of this stuff and so it's a lot slower than I normally type. Hell, any test where you have to read something and then type it is really slow.

Net Speed: 99 WPM
Accuracy: 95%
Gross Speed: 105 WPM

Bull.

I know I typed this post faster than that, because it came straight through my brain to my hands, not through my eyes first.

MaxIBoy
September 18th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Test completed - here are your results:
Net Speed: 53 WPM
(words/minute)
Accuracy: 96%
Gross Speed: 55 WPM
(words/minute)
Print results
Start new test
Add typing test to Facebook

Your typing speed was great!

You can increase your speed even further with our TypingMaster Pro typing tutor featuring an adaptive review and Satellite that creates exercises based on your everyday typing in any Windows program.

I would've done better on my Model M, I'm using my laptop right now. You can type faster on a laptop, but you'll make more mistakes. I backspaced and fixed almost all my mistakes just by reflex, if I'd been accurate I would've had a better score.

BLTicklemonster
September 18th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Typed my **** off, and got this:

Net Speed: 0 WPM
(words/minute)
Accuracy: 0%
Gross Speed: 44 WPM
(words/minute)

WTF?

Beyotch slapped the site and tried it again:

Net Speed: 49 WPM
(words/minute)
Accuracy: 90%
Gross Speed: 54 WPM
(words/minute)

I use me fingers, that's like touch typing, right? (um what's the difference?)

vishzilla
September 18th, 2008, 05:08 AM
25-49(51). i have sticky fingers :) actually it averages around 49-51

SomeGuyDude
September 18th, 2008, 06:01 AM
By the way, that test is pretty asinine. If I hit space, I can't correct my typing. So when I hit the hyphens wrong or I space wrong, I'm suddenly wrong on 10 words in a row because I'm watching the words on the top instead of seeing the red text on the bottom.

pbpersson
September 18th, 2008, 06:13 AM
well.....it told me I was typing at 40WPM but I'm sure that when I really get going I can go much faster than that.

A touch typist would be one who never has to look at the keyboard to type.

The ONLY reason I learned this is because my mother thought it would be a good idea back in 1970 when I was in high school. Back then there was no such thing as a computer, all we had was typewriters. I told her she was crazy because I was not planning to be a secretary when I grew up....but she said it would help with my high school term papers and that is how I ended up where I am today.

Now that I think of it....those term papers that required footnotes at the bottom of every page were murder. I could never tell when I was almost at the bottom and I needed to start my footnites for that page. I am SO GLAD those days are gone forever. :)

deejaypip
September 18th, 2008, 06:22 AM
I couldn't take that test because I can't figure out how to upgrade Java. *sigh*

But I'd say I can type at 130 at my best. Usually just 100-ish.

My problem is that I don't slow down. This summer, I worked a data-entry job. Sometimes, on the commute home, home I couldn't grasp the subway rails because my hands hurt too much.

kirsis
September 18th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Net Speed: 105 WPM (words/minute)
Gross Speed: 109 WPM (words/minute)

Touch + laptop. Im better on a non-laptop keyboard.

joshdudeha
September 18th, 2008, 08:48 AM
81 WPM
:/
lol

and i touch type/

TheSlipstream
September 18th, 2008, 08:53 AM
About 50 words a minute using touch typing. Previously I thought it was 40, but that has since been disproved. Much, much faster then I write. I always use a computer in class when I get the chance, I have horrible writers cramp.

gn2
September 18th, 2008, 09:33 AM
This summer, I worked a data-entry job. Sometimes, on the commute home, home I couldn't grasp the subway rails because my hands hurt too much.

Wouldn't happen to me, it's strictly two forefingers only.

Touch typing may be quick, but it's painful eventually and can lead to permanent disability and inability to work.

Corfy
September 19th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Net speed: 87 WPM
Gross Speed: 90 WPM

I did do some corrections as I was typing, so that slowed my gross speed but probably improved my net speed.

Firestem4
June 12th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I hope nobody minds me bringing this back from the dead.

140 Words per minute is my average when i want to (QWERTY). I have a 3% error margin.

-grubby
June 12th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Net Speed: 100 WPM
Accuracy: 91%
Gross Speed: 109 WPM

Vostrocity
June 12th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I get about 80 doing proper touchtyping. But I've gotten really good at one-handed touchtyping since my other hand is busy a lot (eating Cheetos and such). :D

earthpigg
June 12th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Net Speed: 83 WPM
Gross Speed: 86 WPM

i was 'sprinting' there. i doubt i could sustain that for longer than 5 minutes. also, i am not used to ever using capital letters.

Sinkingships7
June 12th, 2009, 11:08 PM
I hope nobody minds me bringing this back from the dead.

OP here. Not at all. It's a statistical thread, so the more results we can pull in, the merrier. :D