PDA

View Full Version : Send me an IM please!

t0p
September 17th, 2008, 09:22 PM
To make the most of pidgin, I've been signing up for IM accounts. I've just signed up for an MSN account, and I want to make sure I've got it configured correctly.

So, can some helpful soul please send me an IM? You can click to send me one on the butterfly under my avatar, to the left there <---... my MSN handle is (I believe) razorednight@gmail.com.

Dr Small
September 17th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I don't use MSN anymore. Switch to Jabber, like the rest of the Linux users ;)

RiceMonster
September 17th, 2008, 09:39 PM

I haven't switched. Reason being I prefer IMing to my friends than nobody. They wouldn't bother switching.

FuturePilot
September 17th, 2008, 09:43 PM

I have seen the light! :D

Newuser1111
September 17th, 2008, 09:45 PM
To make the most of pidgin, I've been signing up for IM accounts. I've just signed up for an MSN account, and I want to make sure I've got it configured correctly.

So, can some helpful soul please send me an IM? You can click to send me one on the butterfly under my avatar, to the left there <---... my MSN handle is (I believe) razorednight@gmail.com.It says that you are offline.

t0p
September 17th, 2008, 09:57 PM
It says that you are offline.

Oh what? I'll have to see what's up with that...

Concerning jabber - I'll sign up to it as well, doesn't mean I have to leave MSN. Pidgin can deal with multiple accounts over multiple protocols.

Ahh!! Someone wanted to become my friend... and I accidently hit "deny" instead of "accept"! So sorry!! Send the request again please.

EDIT: Where do I sign up to jabber?

FuturePilot
September 17th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Oh what? I'll have to see what's up with that...

Concerning jabber - I'll sign up to it as well, doesn't mean I have to leave MSN. Pidgin can deal with multiple accounts over multiple protocols.

Ahh!! Someone wanted to become my friend... and I accidently hit "deny" instead of "accept"! So sorry!! Send the request again please.

EDIT: Where do I sign up to jabber?

If you have Gmail you already have a Jabber account. ;)

t0p
September 17th, 2008, 10:01 PM
It says that you are offline.

I don't understand why... pidgin says that I'm using the account. Anyone got any idea why my MSN account appears offline?

Newuser1111
September 17th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I don't understand why... pidgin says that I'm using the account. Anyone got any idea why my MSN account appears offline?This is what I see:
http://playstationportablestuff.googlepages.com/MSN3109830912830912809381203.png

Your the only one with that red thing.

t0p
September 17th, 2008, 10:08 PM
If you have Gmail you already have a Jabber account. ;)

So to use it, I'd make an account on pidgin using the Google Talk protocol and my gmail ID?

It won't work! I made a Google Talk account in pidgin but I can't enable it - it says

razorednight@gmail.com/Home disabled. Not authorized.

Why oh why...?

doorknob60
September 17th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Just click Google Talk in Pidgin so it sets up the right server and port etc for you (Google Talk=Jabber, exactly the same thing)

Dr Small
September 17th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I haven't switched. Reason being I prefer IMing to my friends than nobody.
Maybe you need some Linux friends, then. I have a dozen contacts on Jabber. :)

It won't work! I made a Google Talk account in pidgin but I can't enable it - it says

Don't ask me anything about gmail. I don't like it, I don't use it. I run my own Jabber Server ;)

god0fgod
September 17th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Just because you use Jabber doesn't mean you can't talk to Windows contacts still. You will find that most people use the Microsoft service.

Dr Small
September 17th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Just because you use Jabber doesn't mean you can't talk to Windows contacts still. You will find that most people use the Microsoft service.
Yes. All the more reason to get all linux users on Jabber, so it becomes the prefered method of communication among it's users. Of course, there are Jabber server's that support transports for MSN contacts. But why do I want to talk to a Windows fanboy 1500 miles from me, who doesn't like Linux?

t0p
September 17th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Just click Google Talk in Pidgin so it sets up the right server and port etc for you (Google Talk=Jabber, exactly the same thing)

That's what I did! But it wont connect.

drubin
September 17th, 2008, 10:43 PM
i don't use msn anymore. Switch to jabber, like the rest of the linux users ;)

+1