PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Building a ubuntu box for my parents, Recommend me some hardware

castlefox
September 17th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Building a Ubuntu box for my parents, Recommend me some hardware.

I want to support hardware that works nice with Ubuntu. But to be more specific it would be great to buy hardware that had drives. Is this a useless pipe dream I have or can I make it happen?

My parents would not need powerful hardware because they will just be surfing the web and maybe listening to some music or videos. They will probably want a printer also. I also don't know if I can get an Ethernet cable to where they want the computer so a wireless device that plays nice would get good also.

I was gonna put Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) on because of the LTS.

Thanks in advance.

C.S.Cameron
September 17th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Something like a Asus EEE Box would probably suit there needs just fine.
Under $400, spec's:
EeeBox B202 (Black) A 1.6GHz 1GB 80GB XPH w/ Keyboard Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz 1024MB 80GB NO OPTICAL Intel GMA950 Graphics w/ DVI-Out Gigabit LAN 802.11n WiFi Windows XP Home (Monitor Not Included / Mounts onto LCD Displays)
Not sure if they have a linux version.
You could also give them a EEEPC which they could hook up to an external monitor and keyboard.
My daughter uses this set up and loves the portability when she need it. Ubuntu-EEE is available for download and includes all the drivers.

castlefox
September 17th, 2008, 10:29 PM
That seems really cool. My only concern is that they might want to watch a dvd movie on it. Have you tried added in external dvd drive, and how does it play? No problems I assume.

So much for having fun building a computer :(

castlefox
September 17th, 2008, 10:47 PM
uh.... i dont know what I am supposed to do with that website

C.S.Cameron
September 17th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Have not tried an external dvd drive yet, but have not heard any complaints from anyone in the forums yet either.
Well, if you want to build one from scratch, which I prefer myself, see this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=919612

starcannon
September 17th, 2008, 11:27 PM
If your going to build from scratch then I highly recommend Nvidia based video card and Intel CPU, 2~3gb of ram, 32bit Ubuntu, and 250gb sata drive or larger; all of that on an intel or nvidia based motherboard, and a 550watt or greater power supply, a DVD-/+R and possibly a Blu-Ray player.

However, if one wants to spend about the same or a little less, and have a commercial DRM DVD player that works very nicely, be sure to look at dells little sub $500 desktop, or build it up a bit and make it really sweet. http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/linux_3x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

GL and have fun. Avoid VIA like the plague and you should be fine.

castlefox
September 18th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Just wondering why do you recommend going with nVidea and Intel?

I was gonna stay away from the Blu-ray because I dont think my parents can even say Blu-ray without getting a headache.

C.S.Cameron
September 18th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I generally prefer Asus boards myself.
Have not had any problems with Nvidia GPU's or drivers (lately).
Can't get Sketchup working with ATI or Intel GPU's.
SIS Mirage GPU's don't seem to work at all well in Linux.