PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10 Alpha problems

[mike@theInternet]$
September 17th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Fellow Ubuntuians,

I'm trying to use the 8.10 alternate CD to upgrade my 8.04 installation with minimal luck. It's erroring out when I try to add the CD as an installation/update source through the add/remove software sources utility. Without the actual error in front of me, it's acting like it can't read files on the CD. I 'doubt' it's a problem with the burn but a problem with the 8.10 alpha release. Going to try and burn another ISO tonight but wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing similar issues.

waspbr
September 17th, 2008, 06:05 PM
To upgrade from Ubuntu 8.04, press Alt+F2 and type in "update-manager -d" without the quotes and accept the "New Distribution Update."

do that at ur own peril, I would much rather have a clean install. I personally have a partition set for hardy and another partition set for intrepid so in case something breaks in intrepid I will always have hardy to fall back on.

remember that the OS is still alpha, on the very least back up ur important data.

[mike@theInternet]$
September 18th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'm not online though which is why I would be using the alternate CD. I suffer from 'new stuff syndrome' where I'm sometimes impulsive about installing the latest alpha/beta releases so I'll be careful!