PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to burn/install on new hard drive

getdal
September 17th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. I am TOTALLY new to all of this, but am eager to give it a try. I have downloaded ubuntu and want to install it on a computer that I am putting a new hard drive in.

I would sure love it if someone could give me step by step instructions on how to do this. IE; How do I burn the downloaded ubuntu onto a disk that will automatically run when I start the computer up (even though there is no operating system or anything on the hard drive yet). I hear the term ISO, but am unfamiliar with that---do I need specific software to do this?

Is there a better way to do this---should I install XP first? (seems like that would be defeating the purpose though).

Anyway, thank you in advance for any help.

Idefix82
September 17th, 2008, 03:10 PM
You certainly don't need Xp to install Ubuntu.
Any burning software will know what to do with the ISO. If you just open your favourite burning tool and tell it to burn a CD from an ISO (or simply right click on the ISO and say "burn" or something to that effect if your OS is smart enough), you should be ok.

After that put the CD into your drive, boot the computer and tell the BIOS to boot from CD. You can either do it by pressing F12 in the first few seconds and choosing the CD rom drive, or by pressing F2 and changing the order in which the devices should be checked for anything bootable, putting your CD rom drive first. After that, ubuntu will pretty much guide you through it. Since you have a clean hard drive, it should all be very simple.

Edit: I should add that ISO is the term for the file that you downloaded. It contains the full operating system and information for the BIOS, as to how to boot it.

Another EDIT: The BIOS is the little piece of logic that handles the first few steps before control is passed on to an operating system.