View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unreliable battery monitor readings

September 17th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Ubuntu 7.10 fully updated, ZT Systems MS1424 laptop

my battery monitor in gnome fails to read at times and fades in and out between reading and not. For example; it may show battery charge correctly for 10-20 minutes, then show "-:--" and 0% charge for a little while and then come back.

i can give more specs if needed
and thank you in advance! =)

October 3rd, 2008, 02:01 AM
im forced to /bump

January 29th, 2009, 05:22 AM
So, I am now on 8.10, still with the same issue, with the added effect of the laptop shutting down randomly when on battery power. By shutting down I don't mean power loss, it literally just goes through the shutdown procedures and powers off.

I have reset all my power management options to Suspend/Hibernate/Shutdown never.

acpitool output:

nuckinfuts@nuckinfuts-laptop:~$ acpitool -aB
Battery #1 : present
Remaining capacity : unknown, 0.00%
Design capacity : 4400 mAh
Last full capacity : 2495 mAh, 56.7% of design capacity
Capacity loss : 43.3%
Present rate : 0
Charging state : charged
Battery type : rechargeable,
Model number : MS-1414
Serial number : MS-1414
AC adapter : off-line

This is while AC power is plugged in and Gnome's notification area icon shows 99.7% power and AC power plugged in. The stand alone applet however shows 0% battery.

Not sure if it is related but Suspend goes to black screen, turns off the display, then turns it back on to a black screen with no mouse. Only way to escape from the black screen is a hard-boot. Hibernate causes Bluetooth issues on reboot even though i have disabled bluetooth and do not have the hardware.