PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Dual booting

neba
September 17th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I can not seem to get Fedora 9 and Ubuntu 8.4 on my pc. I really want to have both on. Right now I can only get one or the other on. Please keep in mind that I'm a total noob at this. Right now I really just want to get rid of Linux, but I know that will be the biggest mistake I will make. haha. Please help me. I have no ideas left. Google is not much help. every thing they say is way over my head and they don't start from the beginning. I will appreciate any help. thank you

pluckypigeon
September 17th, 2008, 08:42 AM
when installing you need to create partitions with the partition editor.

eg:

These are only rough estimate guidelines

with a 61 GB HD

Linux swap maybe (1GB)

home (30GB)

Ubuntu(15GB)

then when you install Fedora

use the same home directory and use the remaining (15GB) for Fedora

I think that is what you are asking

manishtech
September 17th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Well, hope I was simple enough to tell you about the problems. If you can answer this post of mine, I can continue quite fast
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5804374&postcount=5

just give us the output of the command

sudo fdisk -l

Without this we cant help you much, since we need to know about the partition layout

neba
September 17th, 2008, 09:56 AM
this is what it shows me, haha it really dont mean much to me. i really hope that you can make more sence out of it.

Disk /dev/sda: 100.0 GB, 100030242816 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 12161 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x4d384d37

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 11661 93666951 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 11662 12161 4016250 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 11662 12161 4016218+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

thank you for taking your time to help me i really thankful.

neba
September 17th, 2008, 09:56 AM
this is what it shows me, haha it really dont mean much to me. i really hope that you can make more sence out of it.

thank you for taking your time to help me i really thankful.

manishtech
September 17th, 2008, 10:04 AM
You should resize the sda1 partition. I can see that sda1 on which linux (probably fedora) is installed, is quite big in size. You can resize it to create one more partition for ubuntu.

Just boot from LiveCD, goto System>Administration>Gnome Partition Editor
There select sda1 and click on Resize, then create the new partition with an appropriate FileSystem.

Now while installing, mount this new partition which should be called sda2 as / and the swap partition which is sda5 as swap.
When I say use sda5 as swap, it means that a swap partition is present in the layout, though you dont need to mount it explicitly. It detects itself and uses it.

neba
September 17th, 2008, 10:29 AM
right now i have ubuntu on my sistem. would it be easier to put fedora on first? then reinstall ubuntu? i hear that it is hard making some pc into a dual boot. by putting ubuntu on last will that solve the problem? after i partition this hard drive, when i go to reinstall ubuntu. i will see the new partition?

manishtech
September 17th, 2008, 10:51 AM
right now i have ubuntu on my sistem. would it be easier to put fedora on first? then reinstall ubuntu? i hear that it is hard making some pc into a dual boot. by putting ubuntu on last will that solve the problem? after i partition this hard drive, when i go to reinstall ubuntu. i will see the new partition?
I dont think if you are dual booting with both OS as Linux, you should not be having any problems. If you are having ubuntu right now, boot from Ubuntu LiveCD, create the required partitions and insert the fedora install CD/DVD.

neba
September 17th, 2008, 11:02 AM
thank you so much. I'm going to start that right now, it might talke a long time to partition my hd. Last time i did it, it took about an hour or so.

manishtech
September 17th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Dont know why... But creating primary partitions on my system takes more time than creating logical partitions.

You have to create a primary partition.

neba
September 17th, 2008, 11:55 AM
should the new partition be ext2 or ext3. I don't know what any of this means.

right now i have

partition filestem size used unused flags
/dev/sda1 ext3 64.91 gib 2.93gib 61.98gib boot
new partition #1 ext2 24.41 gib --- ---
/dev/sda2 extended 3.83 gib --- ---
/dev/sda5 linux-swap 3.83 gib --- ---

thats what i have showing now. i have not applied anything yet. i can not change anything to '/dev/sda2' and '/dev/sda5'. there are keys infront of it and it wont allow me to chnge it, what i have showing will that work?

manishtech
September 17th, 2008, 12:02 PM
should the new partition be ext2 or ext3. I don't know what any of this means.

right now i have

partition filestem size used unused flags
/dev/sda1 ext3 64.91 gib 2.93gib 61.98gib boot
new partition #1 ext2 24.41 gib --- ---
/dev/sda2 extended 3.83 gib --- ---
/dev/sda5 linux-swap 3.83 gib --- ---

thats what i have showing now. i have not applied anything yet. i can not change anything to '/dev/sda2' and '/dev/sda5'. there are keys infront of it and it wont allow me to chnge it, what i have showing will that work?

Both are good, but ext3 is far better than ext2. I suggest use ext3.

Are you running the partition editor from the LiveCD? If not use the LiveCD.
The key symbol comes when the partition in mounted. You cant do any changes to the partition when its mounted As far as I know.

So, finally boot from LiveCD. If still it shows from LiveCD. Right click on those partitions and select Unmount

neba
September 17th, 2008, 12:11 PM
ok right now i am in the live cd. i tiried to right click on the 'ext2' and i see unmount, but i cant click it. the only think that i can do is manages flages and information.

neba
September 17th, 2008, 12:12 PM
ok i turned swap off on sda5 then they unmounted. good :)

manishtech
September 17th, 2008, 12:19 PM
ok i turned swap off on sda5 then they unmounted. good :)
Keep us updated on the progress :)

neba
September 17th, 2008, 12:21 PM
right now I have this showing on my partition editor in LIVECD

partition ----- filestem --- size ------- used --- unused --- flags
/dev/sda1 ----- ext3 ------- 64.91 gib -- 2.93gib -61.98gib -- boot
unallocated --- unallocated - 3.83 gib
/dev/sda2 ----- extended --- 24.41 gib
/dev/sda5 ----- linux-swap -- 3.83 gib

neba
September 17th, 2008, 12:22 PM
is that how every thing should be?

manishtech
September 17th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Your extended has 24GB size but sda5 which is a logical partition inside it has size only 3.83GB. It means some more space is left inside the extended partition. Use it to create a logical partition for installing ubuntu.

By the way is that 3.83GB Unallocated space outside Extended partition?

neba
September 17th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I'm sorry, this is what it shows now.

partition ----- filestem --- size ------- used --- unused --- flags
/dev/sda1 ----- ext3 ------- 64.91 gib -- 2.93gib -61.98gib -- boot
unallocated --- unallocated - 3.83 gib
/dev/sda2 ----- extended --- 24.41 gib
new partition - ext3 ------- 20.58 gib
/dev/sda5 ----- linux-swap -- 3.83 gib

how does this look?
do i need to change anything to boot?
do i need to change anything on the 'unallocated' partition under '/dev/sda1'. i think that its not being used.

manishtech
September 17th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Now create a new partition with that 20.58 GB partition which should then show as /dev/sda6

And about that 'unallocated' partition under '/dev/sda1', you can create a new partition from it, first try to merge it with sda1. Merging can be dangerous and I havent tried out personally. I dont think a 3.8 GB partition is a bad idea. :)

neba
September 17th, 2008, 01:14 PM
im sorry but i dont know how to creat a new one. i can resize 20.58. i can go to 'device' up in the top next to 'view' and 'edit'. under that 'device' tab. there is a option that says set disklabel. there i think i can change it.

manishtech
September 17th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Just give me the output of the command

sudo fdisk -l

neba
September 17th, 2008, 01:29 PM

i have not written anything to the disk yet i dont think that the changes are going to show up.

neba
September 17th, 2008, 01:33 PM
i took a screen shoot of what i have going on. that might help you to help me. lol

manishtech
September 17th, 2008, 01:41 PM
i took a screen shoot of what i have going on. that might help you to help me. lol

You have to click on Apply after the snapshot you gave. That will create the partitions and prepare the filesystems on it.

Your work is nearly done. :)

neba
September 17th, 2008, 01:47 PM
i took another screen shot of it. i make some other changes that i think will be be fine. just before i click apply can you look at it to see what i did is ok?

manishtech
September 17th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Excellent! Take no time to hit "Apply"

neba
September 17th, 2008, 11:06 PM
thank you so much for you help. when i went to install fedora. it would not really work. i mush be doing something wrong. :( i will still mess around with it. and again. thank you

manishtech
September 18th, 2008, 09:17 AM
thank you so much for you help. when i went to install fedora. it would not really work. i mush be doing something wrong. :( i will still mess around with it. and again. thank you
Fedora doesnt work? Any error messages? Anything.....

neba
September 18th, 2008, 11:09 AM
When I tried to installed Fedora 9, I got the the partitions area. Fedora would not let me install it on the 30gib (/dev/sda2) partition. It wanted to overwrite my Ubuntu (/dev/sda1) partition. When i tried to do it manually, I just didn't know what to do. I didn't know what partitions to mount 'boot' or 'home', that stuff. I think that I'm going to try that Fedora liveusb thing. I am just losing to much sleep on this. And I know that I will not get much sleep until I get it to work. haha I guess that it is a lose lose situation right now. But really thank you for your help. :)

SkonesMickLoud
September 18th, 2008, 11:23 AM
When I tried to installed Fedora 9, I got the the partitions area. Fedora would not let me install it on the 30gib (/dev/sda2) partition. It wanted to overwrite my Ubuntu (/dev/sda1) partition. When i tried to do it manually, I just didn't know what to do. I didn't know what partitions to mount 'boot' or 'home', that stuff. I think that I'm going to try that Fedora liveusb thing. I am just losing to much sleep on this. And I know that I will not get much sleep until I get it to work. haha I guess that it is a lose lose situation right now. But really thank you for your help. :)

If you want all of Fedora on the same partition, just mark the target partition as "/".

neba
September 18th, 2008, 11:27 AM
If you want all of Fedora on the same partition, just mark the target partition as "/".

haha I really don't care what partition it is on. I just want something to work. I will try "/". thanks

rtom
September 18th, 2008, 11:31 AM
When I tried to installed Fedora 9, I got the the partitions area. Fedora would not let me install it on the 30gib (/dev/sda2) partition. It wanted to overwrite my Ubuntu (/dev/sda1) partition. When i tried to do it manually, I just didn't know what to do. I didn't know what partitions to mount 'boot' or 'home', that stuff. :)

My proposal is to do the following:
sda1 : 10 Gb # for Fedora's /
sda2 : 10 Gb # for Ubuntu's /
sda3 : 76 Gb # for /home
sda4 : you already have ~4 Gb for swap

I don't know Fedora, but I'm sure Ubuntu is able to boot from the second partition (theoretically also Fedora). So first you should change the partitions, install Fedora, then Ubuntu. With the shown partitions they could use the same home, so you don't waste to much.

SkonesMickLoud
September 18th, 2008, 11:32 AM
haha I really don't care what partition it is on. I just want something to work. I will try "/". thanks

Forgot to mention, don't use the quotes.

It does matter which partition you use, as any partition that you mark as / will be over written by the Fedora installer.

manishtech
September 18th, 2008, 11:45 AM
You wanted to use sda2 as the partition to install fedora, you have to select that partition. Click on "Edit" and select it to be mounted as /
Then you can continue your installation. Its simple. No need to loose sleep over this. :D

neba
September 18th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Should I only use / once? Or as many time as needed? Also what should my partition line-up look like. I attached a screen should of what I have. do you think that will work? Any changes should I do? Then when I get to the partition part in the Ubuntu installation. I only get three options.
1)guided- use entire disk.
2)guided- use the largest continuous free space
3)manual
What one should I use?

neba
September 18th, 2008, 12:06 PM
thank you. I'm going to try all of the right now, then I will post whats happened. :) thank you

manishtech
September 18th, 2008, 12:14 PM
You havnt clicked on "Apply" yet. Due to which the partitions are not yet created. The partition operations are still pending. You can see it below.

Use Manual partition.
Additionally, you can choose / only once operating system. / is the partition where ubuntu installs itself. Its nothing so geeky. After all some partition is required where it should reside.

You can specify more partitions, but I recommend to stick with only / and swap in the beginning.

neba
September 18th, 2008, 12:26 PM
You havnt clicked on "Apply" yet.

I did, this was the pic I took last night. I was getting my laptop to start up, so I thought that it would be easier to just use the pic from last night. it is the same thing. :)

neba
September 18th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Multi booting can also aid software developers where multiple operating systems are required for development or testing purposes. Having these systems on one machine can greatly reduce hardware costs. However hardware costs are counterbalanced by system management costs, and the costs of the unavailability of the software that cannot be run at any given moment. Another solution to these problems is to use virtual machine software to emulate another computer from within the operating system of choice.

geovani

one time ads

I have looked into the virtual machine software. But from what I hear, it is really hard to set up, and it is not for noobs like me. lol Thats just what I have read about them. In order to have that virtual machine software. Do you still need to have both os on your computer?

neba
September 18th, 2008, 01:47 PM
yeah!!! Well I have good news and some bad news. I think that i have both on my system right now. I'm not to sure. When I open up partition editor with my Ubuntu live cd, I see that two partitions both have about 2.5 GiB used on them. Looking at it really does not make any sense to me. haha. After both have been installed, I restarted my computer to look at the boot menu. I didn't see fedora on it. only Ubuntu. hmmmm I don't know what to do now. Any thoughts?

neba
September 18th, 2008, 01:54 PM
My proposal is to do the following:
sda1 : 10 Gb # for Fedora's /
sda2 : 10 Gb # for Ubuntu's /
sda3 : 76 Gb # for /home
sda4 : you already have ~4 Gb for swap

What is the 'home' for? Is 'sda1' where all of my Fedora's files, music, and documents are saved?

manishtech
September 18th, 2008, 02:06 PM
What is the 'home' for? Is 'sda1' where all of my Fedora's files, music, and documents are saved?
Dont worry about this. You did it correctly. Its just another way of installing the OS>

manishtech
September 18th, 2008, 02:09 PM
yeah!!! Well I have good news and some bad news. I think that i have both on my system right now. I'm not to sure. When I open up partition editor with my Ubuntu live cd, I see that two partitions both have about 2.5 GiB used on them. Looking at it really does not make any sense to me. haha. After both have been installed, I restarted my computer to look at the boot menu. I didn't see fedora on it. only Ubuntu. hmmmm I don't know what to do now. Any thoughts?
It also has a solution.

Goto Ubuntu, mount the fedora partition using this command, if your fedora is on sda2

sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt

Now go into /mnt to get the fedora partition contents. Now in this, open /boot/grub/grub.conf file and copy-paste the contents here.

Just do the above, rest all is simple. Will guide you after this step.

SkonesMickLoud
September 18th, 2008, 02:44 PM
It also has a solution.

Goto Ubuntu, mount the fedora partition using this command, if your fedora is on sda2

Now go into /mnt to get the fedora partition contents. Now in this, open /boot/grub/grub.conf file and copy-paste the contents here.

Just do the above, rest all is simple. Will guide you after this step.

It's generally a bad idea to mount stuff to /mnt. Instead, devices should be mounted to a directory under /mnt; /mnt/fedora for instance. And that mount command is missing some arguments. If you want to mount an ext3 partition, try this:

sudo mkdir /mnt/fedora
sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/fedora

neba
September 18th, 2008, 02:47 PM
It also has a solution.

(Fedora is on sda1. just to let you know.)
this is what it said "mount: /dev/sda1 already mounted or /mnt busy
mount: according to mtab, /dev/sda1 is already mounted on /mnt"

Do you want me to type '/mnt' in the terminal? I tried that and this is what it said "bash: /mnt: is a directory"

neba
September 18th, 2008, 02:53 PM
sudo mkdir /mnt/fedora

After I typed this is, nothing happened. I hit enter then my username came up. is that what should happen? Or should it tell me something?

SkonesMickLoud
September 18th, 2008, 03:03 PM
sudo mkdir /mnt/fedora

After I typed this is, nothing happened. I hit enter then my username came up. is that what should happen? Or should it tell me something?

That's exactly what should happen. It won't tell you anything unless there is an error.

To get into the guts of your Fedora install, all you have to do is:

cd /mnt/fedora

For the GFK, "cd" = change directory.

neba
September 18th, 2008, 03:13 PM
this is what came up: branden@branden-laptop:/mnt/fedora$ is this right?

SkonesMickLoud
September 18th, 2008, 03:17 PM
this is what came up: branden@branden-laptop:/mnt/fedora$ is this right?

Yep. Does the command "ls" show you anything?

neba
September 18th, 2008, 03:30 PM

no it does not.

neba
September 18th, 2008, 03:42 PM
It's generally a bad idea to mount stuff to /mnt. Instead, devices should be mounted to a directory under /mnt; /mnt/fedora for instance. And that mount command is missing some arguments. If you want to mount an ext3 partition, try this:]

this is what my terminal said: "mount: according to mtab, /dev/sda1 is already mounted on /mnt"

is that ok?

manishtech
September 18th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Looks like there is some confusion with mounted partitions. Just to know which partitions are mounted, post the output of the command

mount

neba
September 18th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Looks like there is some confusion with mounted partitions. Just to know which partitions are mounted, post the output of the command

mount

branden@branden-laptop:~$ mount
/dev/sda6 on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755)
varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
lrm on /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/branden/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=branden)
/dev/sda1 on /mnt type ext3 (rw)
branden@branden-laptop:~$

SkonesMickLoud
September 18th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Your Fedora install looks to be mounted on /mnt.

What does:

ls /mnt

Show you?

neba
September 18th, 2008, 04:45 PM

I went through the command again that you have me prior. after typing this in, this is what i got:

branden@branden-laptop:/mnt/fedora$ ls
bin dev fedora lib lost+found mnt proc sbin srv tmp var
boot etc home lib64 media opt root selinux sys usr
branden@branden-laptop:/mnt/fedora$

neba
September 18th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Your Fedora install looks to be mounted on /mnt.

What does:

ls /mnt

Show you?

and this is what I got for this:

branden@branden-laptop:/mnt/fedora$ ls /mnt
fedora
branden@branden-laptop:/mnt/fedora$

neba
September 18th, 2008, 04:51 PM
To me this looks right, but I really don't know what I'm doing. thank you both for your help.

I don't know if having my computer up to date will change anything. Prior to NOT having this code working 'ls /mnt' my computer was not up to date. but after I ran updater. I think that it work. hmmm or was it due to the fact that I had to restart my computer?

Juvencio
September 18th, 2008, 04:59 PM
are both OS resintly installed

neba
September 18th, 2008, 05:05 PM
are both OS resintly installed

Yes, maybe three to four hours ago. Can that be a problem?

Juvencio
September 18th, 2008, 05:18 PM
i will reply now just bissy

Juvencio
September 18th, 2008, 05:31 PM
ok partition the HDD if you are not useing 2 HDD

insall Fedora first then install Ubuntu

make sure you select the open partition for Ubuntu you might need to set up all your
partitions with the partition editor

swap - home - ect.....

after Ubuntu reboots you shuld have Dual booting screen

this is a gide for Ubuntu 8.04

if you are useing Ubuntu 8.04 64 bit AMD (can use it with 32 bit aswell)
you shuld Install EnvyNG for you to update your ATI/NVIDIA driver

http://albertomilone.com/envyngfaq.html#A

neba
September 18th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I'm sorry, but there is a lot that i didn't under stand of what you just said. I just got Linux not more then a week ago. I uploaded a screen shot of what I got going on with my partitions.
I don't know how to make 2hdd.

Juvencio
September 18th, 2008, 05:41 PM
ok do you have a windows xp cd

neba
September 18th, 2008, 05:44 PM
if you are useing Ubuntu 8.04 64 bit AMD (can use it with 32 bit aswell)
you shuld Install EnvyNG for you to update your ATI/NVIDIA driver

http://albertomilone.com/envyngfaq.html#A

I can get updates for my nvidia driver. I just have not done it yet

neba
September 18th, 2008, 05:44 PM
no I do not. I was thinking about getting one, but I wont, not right now. Not for a wile.

Juvencio
September 18th, 2008, 05:54 PM
have you got 2 HDD (Hard Drive Disc) or 1
if you have one than you have to partition it (split it into 2)
Fedora / Ubuntu

re-install fedora and re-size your partition, do up a manual install if req'd.
then re-install Ubuntu on the other partition do up a manual install if req'd.

Juvencio
September 18th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I'm sorry, but there is a lot that i didn't under stand of what you just said. I just got Linux not more then a week ago. I uploaded a screen shot of what I got going on with my partitions.
I don't know how to make 2hdd.

ok try this install Fedora over ubuntu (delet anything thats on the disc) after that instal Ubuntu.
use free space left over by fedora that shuld do the trik.

the point is install ubuntu second it will build the dule boot for you.

neba
September 18th, 2008, 06:08 PM
ok I am going to start that now. Will I be able to partition my hard drive when I'm in the installation process with ubuntu (fedora will be on first)?

Juvencio
September 18th, 2008, 06:22 PM
yes

you can edit the partitions manualy in fedora and ubuntu while you are in the instalation prosses

resise your swap - home - ect.....

but first let the OS set it up then just edit it

neba
September 18th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Ok I am going through the installation process right now on my laptop. I really dont have a clue how to resize my 'home' 'swap' nothing like that.

Juvencio
September 18th, 2008, 06:34 PM
just play around

you can only break the software not the hardware so your safe

neba
September 18th, 2008, 06:52 PM
lol thats why I am trying to do. All of this is way over my head. :(

Juvencio
September 18th, 2008, 07:00 PM
hows it looking or do you need more help

neba
September 18th, 2008, 07:02 PM
yeah i do. I am trying to install ubuntu. and I dont know what to do, i will send a screen shot what what the partitions look like i dont know where to put ubuntu

SkonesMickLoud
September 18th, 2008, 07:04 PM
yeah i do. I am trying to install ubuntu. and I dont know what to do, i will send a screen shot what what the partitions look like i dont know where to put ubuntu

Not to dissuade you from asking for help, but have you read through the many tutorials that are available across the internet?

neba
September 18th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I have fedora on and now Im trying to put ubuntu on. i dont know what to do.

Juvencio
September 18th, 2008, 07:08 PM
take a screen shot of step 3

neba
September 18th, 2008, 07:08 PM
no I have not. I have google it and I have found forums. but I didnt understand any of it.

neba
September 18th, 2008, 07:11 PM
step 3 is the keyboard layout. but here is the page that is right before the one i showed you.

SkonesMickLoud
September 18th, 2008, 07:11 PM
no I have not. I have google it and I have found forums. but I didnt understand any of it.

OK, here's a very good, step-by-step, picture-by-picture guide:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing

milky2313
September 18th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Based on looking at your screen shot, it looks like you have free space on /dev/sda2. That is one partition of your computer's hard drive. I would say you can install ubuntu there. Its going to ask you to split up that space into two more partitions. One needs to be fairly small, (maybe around 500 MB) and it needs to be formatted as swap. After that, the rest of the free space needs to be formatted as ext3 and you need to set the mount point as / . That should be all that ubuntu requires for you to go ahead with the installation. Hope this helps...

Juvencio
September 18th, 2008, 07:16 PM
sorry SkonesMickLoud not trying to overlook you idea
just letting neba try somthing so he can lern for him self

ok go forward to step 4 and step 5

milky2313
September 18th, 2008, 07:19 PM
nevermind, I misinterpreted your screenshot. I'm just getting in the way now...

neba
September 18th, 2008, 07:22 PM
ok go forward to step 4 and step 5

if i go into step 5 then it has to write it into the partition. and i dont want to do that right now, because i will have to start it all over. :)

neba
September 18th, 2008, 07:23 PM
haha your heart was in the write place. thanks for trying

Juvencio
September 18th, 2008, 07:23 PM
all your fedora has 18% used space and Ubuntu 82% used space

not to sound a bit like a mad person but you might need to do the whole proses over
so that you can resize fedora or get a new HDD and install Ubuntu on to that one

but keep going to compleat the proses try and try thats linux dont stop cos you will get thear

neba
September 18th, 2008, 07:24 PM
thank you. i will take a look at it. you have been a big help.

Juvencio
September 18th, 2008, 07:24 PM
haha your heart was in the write place. thanks for trying

what went wrong

neba
September 18th, 2008, 07:28 PM
cool cool. I thought that something didnt look right about it. I think I know what i have to do, thank you for helping me. there are sometings that i want to try, then i think i will look at the picture guied that 'SkonesMickLoud' gave me the link to. Ill keep you guys updated on whats going on, thanks for all of your help.

neba
September 18th, 2008, 07:30 PM
what went wrong

i think i need to install ubuntu first then put fedora over it. then try to partition it with ubuntu with the second time of installation. i dont think that fedora dose a good job at putting every ting back to normal

Juvencio
September 18th, 2008, 07:31 PM
cool cool. I thought that something didnt look right about it. I think I know what i have to do, thank you for helping me. there are sometings that i want to try, then i think i will look at the picture guied that 'SkonesMickLoud' gave me the link to. Ill keep you guys updated on whats going on, thanks for all of your help.

that what UBUNTU is all about

neba
September 18th, 2008, 07:38 PM
what went wrong

lol that was for milky2313. haha

neba
September 18th, 2008, 07:41 PM
that what UBUNTU is all about

but thats what makes it fun. you know how good i will feel once i get it to work? i have been working on this for at least 12 hours strait today. but im starting to get so close. i wont be able to sleep till i get it done.

Juvencio
September 18th, 2008, 07:59 PM
It toke me a week to get my modem to work, once it did start to work!
I allmost fell on my back, it takes about 1min to set it up.

the same with my nvidia cards. I was running Ubuntu 8.04 32 bit and it was clik clik
and it worked, but then I canged to 64 bit and it toke me 3 days.
again it takes about 5 min to set up.

if you want games for Ubuntu go to

http://www.playdeb.net/

just for interest why do you want fedora and ubuntu

neba
September 19th, 2008, 11:35 AM
wow. Thats how it was with my wireless. All I had to do is just updated it. lol. I was looking for some games. Do you know if you can have Counter Strike Cource on Linux? I don't have windows on here. I'm just learning linux, and I don't want to learn only one. I have been doing some reading and it looked like Ubintu and Fedora are the two best ones out there. There are somethings that Fedora has to offers. I got to say I think I like Ubuntu better. At this monent I really like fedora much better. lol I just got my dual boot to work. I was able to do it throught fedora. :) How long have you been using Ubuntu? Have you tried any other Linus?

neba
September 19th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Hey every one. First off I would like you thank you all for your help and time. Also I would like to let you all know that I finally got it to work..... \\:D/ I do have to say just before I was about to give up. I decided to reinstall fedora to try it that way. And guess what? :) hehe I have to say that this is one of the best feeling I have yet. Only thing that stinks is that I have done so much that I really don't know what I did to make it work. :( lol you guys rock.
thanks Neba

Juvencio
September 25th, 2008, 03:15 PM
How long have you been using Ubuntu? Have you tried any other Linus?

about a year I've tried fedora, Xandros, suse, mandriva.

for me Xandros and Ubuntu were the best for my needs.

Ubuntu just hade that edge over all the others. its all about the community.