PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for Black Friday and Ubuntu

SirSigma
September 17th, 2008, 02:16 AM
I'm planning to line up at Best Buy on Thanksgiving night so I can snag myself a new laptop when they open around 5 in the morning. When I get it, I plan to set a partition right off the bat so I can run Ubuntu straight from the C drive (as opposed to running it off my external hard drive on my current one right now).

So I ask if anybody can recommend a good laptop under 450 dollars for this?

Also, just because I'm kind of curious, post what you're running Ubuntu on right now.

cardinals_fan
September 17th, 2008, 02:20 AM
There's no way I'm going near my local Best Buy right now - PFDs (Permanent Fund Dividends) just came out up here in Alaska. This is our Black Friday. The stores will be mobbed ;)

freebeer
September 17th, 2008, 02:27 AM
What's a C drive? :)

SirSigma
September 17th, 2008, 02:33 AM

LOL I'm still new to Ubuntu. Excuse my language.

I meant I'd run Windows Vista and partition it from within, then install Ubuntu on its internal hard drive.

EDIT: I know what you're thinking. Yes, I don't like Windows Vista either. Unfortunately, I still need it to run Sony Vegas Pro 8.

Icehuck
September 17th, 2008, 05:20 AM
It's hard to say what a good laptop for $450 will be. They will have some crazy deals where $800 laptops go for $400. Just have to keep an eye out for the ads they are running.

jrusso2
September 17th, 2008, 06:35 AM
I'm planning to line up at Best Buy on Thanksgiving night so I can snag myself a new laptop when they open around 5 in the morning. When I get it, I plan to set a partition right off the bat so I can run Ubuntu straight from the C drive (as opposed to running it off my external hard drive on my current one right now).

So I ask if anybody can recommend a good laptop under 450 dollars for this?

Also, just because I'm kind of curious, post what you're running Ubuntu on right now.

Not sure but mostly see acer's in that price range, and there seems to be people that either love them or hate them.

aaaantoine
September 17th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Acers are a good value. I have one myself: a 2007 (probably really 2006 leftover) Aspire 5050-5554. There are a few things that don't work yet, such as the webcam, and there are some things that need to be configured beyond initial install (such as the built in Radeon Xpress 1100 and Broadcom wireless) but the laptop works for me.

As for new stuff, I only have one suggestion: avoid anything with Broadcom wireless.

Bölvağur
September 17th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I'd go to a store where they assemble the laptops them selfs. But you might not have one of those in your area... I dunno, my slogan is "make it dedicated for this and only this job it is designed to"

you'll always get the best stuff if you pick the goodies your self ^^

GOVATENT
September 17th, 2008, 04:45 PM
don't go hp. I have been ok with toshiba, but i hear that acer is great. I have a few acers were I work but the boss uses windows on them. I never tried the live disk to see how they run. I would say acer overall.

wolfen69
September 17th, 2008, 04:57 PM
vote for linux and buy a dell with linux preinstalled and make a small partition for vista.

mips
September 17th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I had a look at the best buy site and would go for Lenovo Ideapad, HP & Dell in that order.

aaaantoine
September 17th, 2008, 05:19 PM
don't go hp.

+1

I heard from an IT friend that HP motherboards crap out rather quickly. This advice was confirmed when I learned that my neighbor's niece's HP laptop died within its warranty period, due to a failed motherboard.

However, I would bet that it would last longer if you maintain good air circulation for the laptop (eg. Don't rest it on your bed, couch, or carpeted floor).

ghostandmachine
September 17th, 2008, 08:33 PM

I think I just found a new saying. thanks for the laughs.

:)

uberdonkey5
September 18th, 2008, 01:19 AM
vote for linux and buy a dell with linux preinstalled and make a small partition for vista.

wouldn't he have to wipe off the preinstall and load vista first?

Currently use dell with linux and vista, but vista hardly/never gets used. Maybe should just remove the thing. But def. agree. Buying a preinstall is a good way to popularise linux, as other computer manufacturers will do the same.

73ckn797
September 18th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Laptop = Toshiba Satellite M115-S3094. Ubuntu worked right away in dual boot and now as only OS. 80gb HDD, 1.5gb ram

Desktop = Biostar TF560 A2+, AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000+, 2gb DDR2 800 Ram. Nvidia 7600GT 256mb. 250, 160 & 40 gig HD's.

Ubuntu Hardy on the 250 drive, Ubuntu Studio 32 on 130 of 160 gig drive and Win XP on 30 gig of 160 drive. Gotta have XP for only one purpose but have not loaded it in over a week.