PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu install Eee PC

uberdonkey5
September 17th, 2008, 01:38 AM
I read that ubuntu is the most popular operating system on the Eee PC (although it doesn't come installed with ubuntu). Despite the fact I find this hard to believe, has anyone installed ubuntu on Eee PC and is there any real advantage to it or any poroblems??? Also, which version did you use.

I'm considering changing it to ubuntu, but like the fact I can do a factory reset if I keep Xandros. (Is there anyway to ensure that the factory reset actually works for ubuntu... seem I could if it is stored on a special partition.)

Thanks,
uberdonkey

aysiu
September 17th, 2008, 06:00 AM
You may have to do some tweaks to get a few things working in Ubuntu, and the boot time will never be as fast as Xandros', but once it's up and running, it works well.

awalsh
September 17th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I would recommend Ubuntu-eee (http://ubuntu-eee.com), for my eee 1000 it worked right out of the box. Or you could just use the latest copy of Hardy + the custom kernel for eee pc (http://www.array.org/ubuntu/index.html) which should get most features working nicely in case you do not not like the netbook remix which comes with Ubuntu-eee.

I changed from Xandros because to me it felt like a child's toy with that interface, plus it was horribly outdated and a real pain to add new things to. Just my opinion though, im sure many people leave xandros on with no problems. If you are careful during the install it is possible to leave the restore partition, in place so if you do not like it you can always go back. I accidently erased the restore partition so no going back for me :) unless I buy an external cd drive

mintochris
September 17th, 2008, 07:53 AM
another vote for ubuntu-eee. After that I used a script to get my functin keys working and everything's been super since :D

youngalfred
September 17th, 2008, 02:53 PM
ubuntu-eee all the way. it so much easier when the wireless works out of the box. I think the new version has had major revisions and actually includes the new custom kernel (adamms) and fnkey scripts. It works great :)
I changed because I like the shininess of Ubuntu (and that xandros keeps a copy of the default install on the drive- taking up valuable space) oh and the power :) i do miss the boot times but :( standby helps alot but. Netbook remix is fairly easy to get rid of too

dwmurray57
September 19th, 2008, 11:03 PM
ubuntu-eee all the way. it so much easier when the wireless works out of the box. I think the new version has had major revisions and actually includes the new custom kernel (adamms) and fnkey scripts. It works great :)
I changed because I like the shininess of Ubuntu (and that xandros keeps a copy of the default install on the drive- taking up valuable space) oh and the power :) i do miss the boot times but :( standby helps alot but. Netbook remix is fairly easy to get rid of too
It seems that you have experienced, what I going through right now... I just completed the installation of Ubuntu but I can't figure out how to start the wireless????

Would you have any suggestions on how to get it going please?

I am getting somewhat frustrated and would appreciate some help :(

Thank you,

Doug!
murray.dw@gmail.com