PDA

View Full Version : How much should I spend on headphones?

Jimmey
September 16th, 2008, 11:27 PM
How much is sensible in terms of splashing out on some headphones?

I'm quite keen on in-ear headphones and am definitely looking for a set that are of high build quality - I had some creatives that recently came to me broke.

Any suggestions?

Lord Xeb
September 16th, 2008, 11:36 PM
like 20 bucks. IF you live in the US, get the skull candy head phones. Those things are awesome!

issih
September 16th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Tricky one, I'm far too good at breaking earphones, (I too like the in ear ones) so I tend not to shell out too much.

The sound quality does go up with price though..the dirt cheap ones are pants, all round. I'd spend at least £10-15 (so $20-30ish) to be sure they sound ok..I also recommend the ones with the little rubber bits on the end, as the isolation really helps the bass reproduction.

I too have a pair of the skull candy ones, which are pretty good, but do fall out of the ear at times, I therefore have a pair of philips ones that clip round the ear which are my current favourites.

I have to admit that the best pair I ever had (from a sound point of view) was a £30 pair of sony's. they were awesome, but just fell apart...I was not happy.

In essence sound wise you get what you pay for, but imho the little in the ear jobs just don't survive, this is a pity as they are my favourites by far.

thomashauk
September 16th, 2008, 11:55 PM
You get what you pay for with headphones. Sennheiser are at the sweet spot for me but it depends on what you want.

If you are wanting to use them in public then you NEED noise canceling tough.

Zimmer
September 16th, 2008, 11:57 PM
http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/
many to look at here...competetive..
bought a Sennheiser headset from them a while back...

SomeGuyDude
September 16th, 2008, 11:57 PM
like 20 bucks. IF you live in the US, get the skull candy head phones. Those things are awesome!

I have a pair of Smokin' Buds in my ears right now. I've owned Shure, V-MODA, Sennheiser, Bose, Sony, and listened to Etymotics, and Skullcandy's are by far the best. Comfortable, clear, DURABLE (damn you, V-MODA), and a great price.

I also have their cans, the HESH model, and if I hadn't broken the band I'd be using them a lot more.

dizee
September 17th, 2008, 12:47 AM
it depends on the quality of your music collection.

there's no point seriously shelling out for headphones to listen to an mp3. if you do, you'll just end up noticing how crap the quality is everytime you listen to your music. if it's a lossless format like flac or even cd/vinyl etc itself then by all means do.

really it's about what you want and need them for. but i would say you can't really go wrong with sennheiser.

Polygon
September 17th, 2008, 12:52 AM
the apple ipod ear buds are 50 dollars.

so.....50 dollars will get you some good ones.

cookieofdoom
September 17th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Sennheiser PX100's are great, and under $50. If you would like to spend more, the Sony Sony MDR7506's would be the next ones up (IMO) @$100. See if you can find a place locally that will let you try them out, or talk to your friends locally ask them what they use and see if they'll let you try them.

mike1234
September 17th, 2008, 01:22 AM
How much is sensible in terms of splashing out on some headphones?

I'm quite keen on in-ear headphones and am definitely looking for a set that are of high build quality - I had some creatives that recently came to me broke.

Any suggestions?

I think most of the replies on right on the mark pricewise. Most if not all computer sound cards are not good examples of "Sonic Purity" so be careful to not spend too much. If however it's for a proper hi-fi system then by all means spend as much as you can afford.
M.

dioltas
September 17th, 2008, 01:37 AM
I bought a pair of KOSS Porta Pro recently. Fairly happy with them. Cost me about €30 on ebay. Lifetime warranty - no questions asked.

fatality_uk
September 17th, 2008, 07:15 PM
I have technics RP-f350 and they are superb.
I have had much more expensive headphones in the past but these just work very very well, and are 100% Ubuntu compatible (:lol: Joke)

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Browse/ID69/10199244/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|101 99181/c_2/2|cat_10199181|Headphones+and+earphones|10199244/r_1/3|Brands|Technics|1.htm

In ETQW and Quake 4 the deep bass is really there. Love them

init1
September 17th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I usually spend about $20

Colro
September 17th, 2008, 07:58 PM
God, ear buds drive me insane, there are people that actually prefer them?! I only use them for my ipod since they're more portable.....

I'm going to stick with that statement and say these are by far the best desktop headphones I've ever seen or used:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826249008

RiceMonster
September 17th, 2008, 08:07 PM

Yeah I just bought some of those. They sound nice, and they do a good job of blocking outside sound. Much than the huge $50 noise canceling headphones I bought before.

nick09
September 17th, 2008, 08:22 PM
$20-$30 bucks for me. I have the smokin' buds by skullcandy; I owned them since December 2007. Only damage I done is on the rubber part that says L or R but that was damage done by me. I'm not a heavy audio head so I'm fine with the mp3 format and the earbuds.

steveneddy
September 17th, 2008, 08:32 PM
As much as you can afford and feel comfortable spending.

Me? I buy professional series phones and they have never let me down.

anotherdisciple
September 17th, 2008, 09:44 PM
IMO small ear buds are convenient, but the bulky/ugly ones have better sound quality for your money.

sixstorm
September 18th, 2008, 05:21 PM
My Sennheiser HD 555s are the best headphones I've ever heard in my life.

Mr. Picklesworth
September 18th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I've been pretty happy with my Plantronics .Audio 365 headset. I chose them because they had no reviews, but the various forum threads I found on them began with "replacing my Creative HS-900" (which was another set I had been debating).

One thing to note with the bigger sets is they are definitely better for your ears. Since they always have some capacity to limit outside sound, there isn't as much need to crank them.

If you go with a bigger pair, it's important to take a look at the padding. The foam padding on cheaper headphones goes out in weeks and people often find it itchy. The HS-900 used a very comfortable velvet padding, while Plantronics usually goes with a decent pleather material.
Different sets also have big differences in air circulation / openness, which affects whether they feel weird and clammy after extended use. The Plantronics one I have is categorized as closed ear, but I actually find it quite easy to hear what is going on around me (which I find a feature...), and I have never had them feel uncomfortable after a time. They have a nice design that just sort of fits in smoothly.

SeanHodges
September 18th, 2008, 05:41 PM
1 billion pounds!!!

http://zerotosixty.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/medium_dr_evil_1.jpg

markp1989
September 18th, 2008, 05:55 PM
i usualy use the jvc gummy head phones wwith my mp3 player, cause there quite cheap <£10 and they sound good

i wouldnt spend alot on them cause im clumzy, and break headphones quite often

SomeGuyDude
September 18th, 2008, 06:06 PM
$20-$30 bucks for me. I have the smokin' buds by skullcandy; I owned them since December 2007. Only damage I done is on the rubber part that says L or R but that was damage done by me. I'm not a heavy audio head so I'm fine with the mp3 format and the earbuds.

Like I said before, SC phones may be the best for the money I've ever encountered.

I don't like the big ear cans because they tend to run incredibly expensive before they get any good, and because they aren't too portable. If I'm just by myself at home, I have a nice speaker system, so I use the 'phones while out and the huge cans look goofy and don't fit in your pocket.

The Smokin' Buds are just downright awesome, and I'm even looking into the $70 pair they just released, the Full Metal Jackets.

Miguel
September 18th, 2008, 06:13 PM
We've had people recommending sennheiser, sony, KOSS,... What the heck! Get some grado, man! At least if you want headphones and not earbuds. The Grado SR-80 are probably the best you will find for less than 100$. I've got the SR-125 and it's probably the best gift my girlfriend has ever made. Be wary, though, Sennheisers are usually more comfortable.

Now, seriously. Go and listen to a few cans. See if you like the sound and then see if you like the price. After that, go ahead.