PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Lord Xeb
September 16th, 2008, 11:27 PM
If someone was going to get rid of their old computer, would you rebuild the thing and put it up for sale, or would you use it for your own use?

david_lynch
September 16th, 2008, 11:29 PM
I already have way too many computers. I'd rebuild it, but linux on it and either sell it or donate it depending on the situation.

Sky Pixie
September 16th, 2008, 11:45 PM
I think it depends on the age of the computer. Old computers don't have resale value. The case, optical drives, hard drives, and cables can be salvaged.

If it had a decent power supply and the motherboard had a PCI Express x16 slot, I'd install Windows XP and an 8800 GT to fold for TeamUbuntu.

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 17th, 2008, 02:07 AM
I can't vote properly on this pole.

I'm the person that gives away their old computers to family and friends. I wipe the HDD to DoD 5220 standard then install Ubuntu.

I already have plans for my next discarded computer. I am planning to give my grandchildren an old HP Pavilion with an AMD Athlon 2.8GHz dual-core processor, 1.5GB RAM, 250GB hard drive, and a CD/DVD burner with LightScribe. It currently has Fedora running on it dual booting with Windows XP Multimedia Edition.

I will be discarding it within the year when my grandchildren are between the ages of 7 and 10 years old.

I have given away several computers over the years. I bought my first home computer in 1980. No one that has received one of these computers has ever complained about what Operating System was running on them.

You may ask why I don't sell them. Simple, I don't need the money, and I am helping family and friends to have something they could not otherwise afford.

DougieFresh4U
September 17th, 2008, 03:04 AM
Been looking for an old laptop. Last Saturday, the County had a recycling day for old computers, so I went and stood at the gate trying to get a laptop but no one would give one up. They wanted them destroyed for fear of any one getting their personal info from hard drives
I install Ubuntu on computers I find on the curb and give them to people to try. :)

david_lynch
September 17th, 2008, 03:41 AM
If it had a decent power supply and the motherboard had a PCI Express x16 slot, I'd install Windows XP and an 8800 GT to fold for TeamUbuntu. LOL, if you're using windows, why not fold for team microsoft? Let's keep it real here!

Dr Small
September 17th, 2008, 03:45 AM
I'd find some use for it. :)

Sky Pixie
September 17th, 2008, 03:51 AM
LOL, if you're using windows, why not fold for team microsoft? Let's keep it real here!

It may be blasphemous to fold for TeamUbuntu with a Windows rig, but there is currently no native GPU2 client for Linux and I needs me those additional 3,000 PPD a 8800 GT can yield to catch jpkotta. :)

All is fair in love and war...and folding.

Chilli Bob
September 17th, 2008, 06:16 AM
I'd find a use for it. Another box means another distro.

Actually I need a new one to try out FreeDOS. I trhink I have enough parts to put one together.

billgoldberg
September 17th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I would most likely use it for spare parts, or maybe put it in a corner somewhere as some kind of server (never can have enough of those).

TPetey
September 18th, 2008, 07:46 PM
It may be blasphemous to fold for TeamUbuntu with a Windows rig, but there is currently no native GPU2 client for Linux and I needs me those additional 3,000 PPD a 8800 GT can yield to catch jpkotta. :)

All is fair in love and war...and folding.

Can't you fold with the GPU2 client under WINE? Others have done it (http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=3744) after some trial and error.

littletinman
September 18th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I'm ALWAYS looking for old computers to take apart and expiriment with. I love electronics and computer stuff, and when someone has an old computer thier about to chuck, and then let me have for parts, I feel like they gave me a birthday present!!!

rax_m
September 18th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Just wanted to drop in and apologise for starting another Poll with exactly the same title (but different topic completely) LOL

On your topic.. If you don't have a use for it, I would donate it to someone. There's always people who've never owned a PC.

jespdj
September 18th, 2008, 08:45 PM
It depends. I gave my old computer to a friend who hasn't got a lot of money. If she wouldn't need it, I might have given it to a second-hand shop.

Sky Pixie
September 19th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Can't you fold with the GPU2 client under WINE? Others have done it (http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=3744) after some trial and error.

Yes, it's possible to run the GPU2 client in WINE, however I'm currently too lazy to attempt it.

BLTicklemonster
September 19th, 2008, 04:58 AM
I would do what I did with three other ones a while back. Rebuild them and donate them to a local school whose students are mainly from low income families. They keep bugging me for some kind of paperwork so I can claim them on my taxes, but I keep telling them that I didn't do it for any money at all, but out of the kindness of my heart.

They look at me like I'm some kind of glow in the dark class 5 spectral freaking idiot. I'm used to that, though. Been married twice.