PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.04 - fresh install doesn't detect serial mouse

jojo50
September 16th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Hi

I am using an old Microsoft Serial Mouse 2.0A for now. This mouse doesn't seem to work in 8.04, nor did it work in 7.10 when I tried it yesterday.

1. Can I force Ubuntu to detect the mouse (and other hardware) somehow, without starting Ubuntu? I say "without starting Ubuntu" because I can't navigate there with the mouse unuseable.

2. When I get a new mouse, will Ubuntu detect it automatically as Windows XP does?

I used a CD burned from an 8.04 iso I downloaded.

(I'm not sure if I should list my hardware and software for proper help here, and if so, what to include in the list.)

Thanks,
Joe

oilchangeguy
September 16th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Hi

I am using an old Microsoft Serial Mouse 2.0A for now. This mouse doesn't seem to work in 8.04, nor did it work in 7.10 when I tried it yesterday.

1. Can I force Ubuntu to detect the mouse (and other hardware) somehow, without starting Ubuntu? I say "without starting Ubuntu" because I can't navigate there with the mouse unuseable.

2. When I get a new mouse, will Ubuntu detect it automatically as Windows XP does?

I used a CD burned from an 8.04 iso I downloaded.

(I'm not sure if I should list my hardware and software for proper help here, and if so, what to include in the list.)

Thanks,
Joe

1. no you can't force ubuntu to detect hardware it does not support.

2. as long as it's a ps2, or usb you'll be fine.

jojo50
September 16th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Hey thanks oilchangeguy,

I'm glad to know that Ubuntu will auto-detect new (recent) hardware.

As for my old serial mouse here, I found a Community Ubuntu Documentation page that helped get it working. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SerialMouseHowto
The only problem with the mouse now is that it leaves trails wherever it goes, like the eraser in Paint! Anyway, I'm chuckling to have it work at all.

Joe

Xxsk8rdude06xx
January 2nd, 2010, 01:02 AM
This isn't true .... I have a logitech wireless mouse and it won't load or detect my mouse :/