PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu doesn't see my SATA devices

AustinMatherne
September 16th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I built a new computer on the Intel P45 platform. Problem is, when I try to install Ubuntu, I get a menu with a selection of SATA drivers because it can't find a hard drive. The SATA controller is a Intel ICH10R.

It also can't connect to the network with the embedded NIC. The NIC is a Realtek RTL8111C.

Thanks,
~ Austin
P.S. OpenSUSE 11.0 installs just fine.

AustinMatherne
September 16th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Well, it would appear I need the 2.6.26 kernel for my Ethernet controller to work.

Is it possible to add an updated kernel to the Ubuntu 8.04, 64 bit alternate install CD?

Thanks,
~ Austin

AustinMatherne
September 16th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I'm gathering from the lack of responses, that this is just another thing to add on to the long list of incompatibility's with Ubuntu... Or am I wrong?

manishtech
September 16th, 2008, 09:19 PM
First lets us know whether your NIC is detected or not.
While running in LiveCD mode, goto terminal and type this command

lspci| grep -i ethernet

AustinMatherne
September 16th, 2008, 10:09 PM
lspci| grep -i ethernet

Outputs

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co... Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)

gregphil
September 16th, 2008, 11:30 PM
This is probably not your problem, but it slowed me down trying to install ubuntu for a few hours:

On my ASUS motherboard, ubuntu was not "seeing" the SATA drives, but did see the IDE drive. After much research I found it ws necessary to go into the BIOS and (get this) add each of the SATA disks to a separate "RAID array", even though I was not using them as a RAID array. Also note that I needed to create a separate RAID "array" for each SATA disk and only put one (1) disk in each "array". As strange as this sounds I was desperate, so I tried it and it worked.

Once I did this the motherbaord BIOS was willing to report the SATA disks existed to ubuntu and ubuntu was willing to use them, install, and boot from them.

As I said this is probably not your problem, but you might look around in the BIOS and see if you need to do anything to "enable" SATA support.

Good Luck.

AustinMatherne
September 17th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I reinstalled Windows XP, enabled Wake on LAN for the NIC, and the Ethernet controller works.

I went into the BIOS and changed the SATA#1 Configuration from IDE to AHCI. So everything seems to be working fine. Now, I just need to cross my fingers and hope the audio over HDMI for my 4870 works.

Thanks,
~ Austin

AustinMatherne
September 17th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I reinstalled Windows XP, enabled Wake on LAN for the NIC, and the Ethernet controller works.

Well... It was working, until I had to reboot.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
~ Austin
P.S. Can someone move this over to "Networking & Wireless"?