PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] XFCE: mouse pointer just spins and spins upon login

gmstalk
September 16th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Hello,

I installed Xubuntu so that I could use XFCE. I usually use regular Ubuntu (gnome) with compiz for the eyecandy. Sometimes I need a more streamlined and less process intensive desktop, thus XFCE.

My problem is when I chose XFCE and login, I see the decktop, but the mouse pointer endlessly spins and I can do nothing.

I tried uninstalling, reinstalling, and just stalling with no success (though I am good at stalling).

Can you help me identify some logs to look at and guide me based on those logs? I would sure appreciate it.

-Greg

Private_Ops
September 16th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Tried a different mouse?

gmstalk
September 16th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I was unclear. The pointer indicates the system is busy after I have logged in to the XFCE session. I see the only the wallpaper. I can move the pointer fine, so it is not a mouse issue. The system is doing something, but I do not know what.

I have left it in this state for 9 hours and it never stops. They system just stays busy. No ICONs appear. Right or left clicking does nothing.

mali2297
September 17th, 2008, 01:35 PM
My problem is when I chose XFCE and login, I see the decktop, but the mouse pointer endlessly spins and I can do nothing.

Have you tried killing the X server (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace) or switching tty (Ctrl+Alt+F[1-6])?

Can you help me identify some logs to look at and guide me based on those logs? I would sure appreciate it.

Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old.

gmstalk
September 18th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Have you tried killing the X server (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace) or switching tty (Ctrl+Alt+F[1-6])?

Oh yes, all that works fine.

Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old.

Perfect. I will take a look at these files and see what is going on.

mali2297
September 18th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Another thing that you can try is to go to tty2 (Ctrl+Alt+F2), log in and stop gdm with

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

Then try to start xfce with

startxfce4

If it does not work, you might still get some useful error message printed on tty2.