PDA

View Full Version : What useful or non useful keyboard presses do you know of?

ww711
September 16th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I've found out that using Alt and scrolling the mouse wheel up and down will make the focused window gradually transparent and solid again; this is with 'normal' effects.

Ctrl+Alt+ the arrow keys to navigate back and forth between desktops; always useful.

Anyone else would like to share their useful or non useful keyboard presses?

LaRoza
September 16th, 2008, 06:40 PM
It really depends on the application and window manager.

I use xmonad, everything is a key combo.

I guess my most used is "alt + shift + enter" to open a terminal and "alt + p" to bring up dmenu.

Of course, I could customize them...

Daveski
September 16th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Ctrl+Alt+ the arrow keys to navigate back and forth between desktops; always useful.

With the default Ubuntu (HH) Super key (Windows logo on most keyboards) and E zooms out the workspaces, then you can use the arrow keys and Super-E back in again.

niccholaspage
September 16th, 2008, 11:33 PM
That is an awesome effect Daveski.

northern lights
September 17th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Ctrl+Alt+ the arrow keys to navigate back and forth between desktops

Super key (Windows logo on most keyboards) and E zooms out the workspaces

These are two of many compiz key bindings that can be looked up as well as customized - with the package 'compizconfig-settings-manager' installed you can check 'em under 'System > Preferences > Advanced Desktop Effects Settings' in the panel.

I use xmonad, everything is a key combo.
This WM sounds interesting.
Is the tiling really that more efficient?
Is it simple enough to have the key features down after a few hours of working in it? --> I wanna try it, but don't have the time to spent a whole day configuring my WM and learning to handle it...

cardinals_fan
September 17th, 2008, 01:03 AM
I've configured my Xfce keybindings to mimic dwm. Alt+# brings me to workspace #, Alt+Shift+# sends current window to workspace #, Alt+Shift+Enter opens terminal, Alt+p executes dmenu, and a couple others.

Trail
September 17th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Alt-SysRq-F = kill the most memory hogging process

Alt-SysRq-R+S+E+I+U+B (with pauses in between) = reboot if unresponsive

ww711
September 17th, 2008, 11:53 AM
With the default Ubuntu (HH) Super key (Windows logo on most keyboards) and E zooms out the workspaces, then you can use the arrow keys and Super-E back in again.

Good find!

lukjad
September 17th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I have changed my desktop changing keys to Ctrl+Alt+[Plus/Minus]. I used to have it and in the middle of a game where I want the shields (Ctrl) and to shoot my laser at the asteroid (Alt) and turn the the left all at the same time, POOF! The screen is now just my desktop and I hear this horrible crunching sound and the "Game Over" tune. :P

rax_m
September 17th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Couple of things I like :

1. Super key + mouse wheel allows you to zoom in and out of the desktop (with Compiz enabled)
2. clicking on the desktop and then typing "/home/user" or "/wherever" will open nautilus in that folder
3. Alt-F1 brings up the application menu - no mouse needed

I'm sure there're others I can't think of now :D

youngalfred
September 17th, 2008, 02:42 PM
alt + scroll = transparency = awsum find!!! great for a quick look at the window below :)
windows + scroll = zoom = good 2 :)
my fav (i have changed it) is f12 for bullets on/off in ooo.org. great for uni lectures. i think the default is shift-f12
also shift-ctrl-left or right for next and previous track is good to set

youngalfred
September 17th, 2008, 02:42 PM
alt + scroll = transparency = awsum find!!! great for a quick look at the window below :)
windows + scroll = zoom = good 2 :)
my fav (i have changed it) is f12 for bullets on/off in ooo.org. great for uni lectures. i think the default is shift-f12
also shift-ctrl-left or right for next and previous track is good to set

youngalfred
September 17th, 2008, 02:43 PM
how the hell did that happen? lol

ianhaycox
September 17th, 2008, 02:53 PM
In firefox I use Alt-Enter a lot to open a url in a new tab, and obviously middle click with MB3 (scroll wheel) on a link to open in a new tab.

Mr. Picklesworth
September 17th, 2008, 05:27 PM
My favourite shortcut is the Compose key, which I play with on a daily basis and use as part of my agenda to convince people to use Linux :)

I mapped it to right Alt in Preferences -> Keyboard -> Layouts -> Layout Options. (Go to Compose Key Position and check the one you want).

Now you can type special characters by holding your Compose key and typing two characters that would naturally, if "joined together", give you the result you expect.
Err, for example:

"Compose + -" gives you ±, while "Compose : -" gives you ÷. "Compose c ," gives ç and "Compose ` e" is è. The library of key combos here is huge and intuitive!
Keep in mind that Shift is necessary for things like ^ or :.

It's very, very cool.

Any other shortcut keys (eg: menu shortcuts) I configure myself by hovering over the menu items and typing a key combination that works well for me. (Either a Function key or a modifier key + something else. Backspace removes the shortcut keys completely). You can turn that one on by going into Appearance Preferences and, under the Interface tab, activating "Editable menu shortcut keys". Keep in mind that this only works in apps using GTK, like Abiword or Epiphany - really anything other than Firefox and OpenOffice in the default set.
As an example, open up a folder in Nautilus. Go to the File menu. Go to Create Document and hover over "Empty Document". Now type Shift + Ctrl + N. Notice that Create Folder has lost its shortcut, and now Shift Ctrl N creates empty documents! Revert that change if you wish. You can even change shortcuts like renaming files with F2, the key to toggle the sidebar... all sorts of neat stuff.

northern lights
September 17th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I mapped it to right Alt in Preferences -> Keyboard -> Layouts -> Layout Options. (Go to Compose Key Position and check the one you want).

Now you can type special characters by holding your Compose key and typing two characters that would naturally, if "joined together", give you the result you expect.
Err, for example:

"Compose + -" gives you ±, while "Compose : -" gives you ÷. "Compose c ," gives ç and "Compose ` e" is è. The library of key combos here is huge and intuitive!This is killer! I'm on a US keyboard and frequently have to type German "Umlauts", which I insert via the character map.
Do you happen to know the combos?

aaaantoine
September 17th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Alt-SysRq-F = kill the most memory hogging process

Alt-SysRq-R+S+E+I+U+B (with pauses in between) = reboot if unresponsive
I thought it was R+E+I+S+U+B.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key#.22Raising_Elephants.22_Mnemonic_D evice

Okay, so there's one example there that has it the way you wrote it, but still.

Also, when doing this, I would suggest giving at least 10 seconds to Alt+SysRq+E (Terminate programs gracefully) before invoking Alt+SysRq+I (Kill programs forcefully).

Mr. Picklesworth
September 18th, 2008, 04:24 AM
This is killer! I'm on a US keyboard and frequently have to type German "Umlauts", which I insert via the character map.
Do you happen to know the combos?

This seems to have a good list:
http://www.hermit.org/Linux/ComposeKeys.html

I wonder if one can create his own combinations somehow?

mcduck
September 18th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I thought it was R+E+I+S+U+B.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key#.22Raising_Elephants.22_Mnemonic_D evice

Okay, so there's one example there that has it the way you wrote it, but still.

Also, when doing this, I would suggest giving at least 10 seconds to Alt+SysRq+E (Terminate programs gracefully) before invoking Alt+SysRq+I (Kill programs forcefully).

R-E-I-S-U-B would be the correct one. It's useless to sync the disks (S) before ending the running processes (E and I)..