PDA

View Full Version : So you like photography?

sayakb
September 16th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Are you a photographer? So am I.. lol

Oh I love capturing those tiny water droplets on the grass. And the glass of wine filed with ice cubes. :popcorn:

Well, I started the group for Ubuntu Photographers on Launchpad:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-photographers

All photographers are welcome to join!

Dragonbite
September 16th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Did you set up a Social Group as well? I'm still trying to figure out the use of the Launchpad or Social Groups.

Actually it is my wife who is a great photographer (esp of our kids). She had a Canon Rebel 35mm for a long time and took some great shots. Out of any roll more than half of them are good shots so I was hesitant to push for moving her into a digital camera. We also had dial-up so it wasn't like we'd be sharing the pictures much anyway.

Then, her trusty Canon died. Unfortunately I was not there to be able to convince her it's time to move digital. On a "good" (ish) note, this new camera sucks worse than an old digital camera.

Plus she's seeing the advantages of having the pictures instantly from when my Mother left her camera with us for a while. Now that we have DSL the pictures are posted online for friends and family and sometime soon I'll be having some of those pictures developed so she can see the quality is the same.

So we are kinda in the market for an SLR, currently looking at a Canon Rebel D40 but the way things are going I'm thinking I may look at a "bridge" camera for myself that she can use and get used to before plunging into the full-blown SLR.

What kind of camera do you use?

sayakb
September 16th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I have a Nikon S700. Also when I dont carry it, I click on my N95 which has a not so bad 5MP camera.

LaRoza
September 16th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Where are the pictures :(

fiddledd
September 16th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Did you set up a Social Group as well? I'm still trying to figure out the use of the Launchpad or Social Groups.

Actually it is my wife who is a great photographer (esp of our kids). She had a Canon Rebel 35mm for a long time and took some great shots. Out of any roll more than half of them are good shots so I was hesitant to push for moving her into a digital camera. We also had dial-up so it wasn't like we'd be sharing the pictures much anyway.

Then, her trusty Canon died. Unfortunately I was not there to be able to convince her it's time to move digital. On a "good" (ish) note, this new camera sucks worse than an old digital camera.

Plus she's seeing the advantages of having the pictures instantly from when my Mother left her camera with us for a while. Now that we have DSL the pictures are posted online for friends and family and sometime soon I'll be having some of those pictures developed so she can see the quality is the same.

So we are kinda in the market for an SLR, currently looking at a Canon Rebel D40 but the way things are going I'm thinking I may look at a "bridge" camera for myself that she can use and get used to before plunging into the full-blown SLR.

The wildlife forum I'm in has many professional nature photographers in it. Obviously they mostly use DSLRs, some still use SLRs.

But some also use something like the Fujifilm FinePix S8000fd, for when they are just out and about. The picture quality is great, it has 18x zoom, true Image Stabilisation (not just changing the ISO like some do).

The advantage of this sort of camera is you have the equivalent of a 500mm zoom lens when you need it, without carrying bulky lenses. Also of course you don't need to fiddle about changing lenses.

Anyway, it was about £400 earlier this year, but you can pick one up for less than £150 new now.

I'm in the UK, so here's (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000UUHL2K/?tag=r7000777g-21) a link for the camera, with more details.

Northsider
September 17th, 2008, 12:05 AM
I a sort-of-amateur photographer. I like to photograph urban scenes, mostly in Chicago because that's where I live. Check out my website in my sig.

I have a Nikon D40x

cardinals_fan
September 17th, 2008, 12:35 AM
I'm an amateur photographer. My Olympus works underwater, but it's still a pretty crummy camera.

What do you use to organize your pics? I like GQview...

userundefine
September 17th, 2008, 01:31 AM
I'm an amateur photog too. I just got my first DSLR, the Canon 40D. Previously I used a Lumix FZ7. I've used a lot of photo apps on Linux: f-spot, digikam, gthumb, RAWtherapee, LightZone, Bibble, etc. I now use digikam for organizing and tagging which is far superior to F-spot IMO though more cluttered, and I waver between LightZone and Bibble for RAW development because I'm not totally satisfied with either and since I just got the 40D I haven't had a chance to get a decent set of photos to process. It's important to me because I want to shoot in RAW all the time.

You can check out some of my photos here (http://peripatetique.aminus3.com) (no claim to quality!).

Northsider
September 17th, 2008, 02:02 AM

I just throw them onto my external drive in appropriately named folders. For my website, I use Picasa and export the folders as HTML pages and simply upload them. Finally Picasa works with linux, so I don't have to boot back into windows to use it

cardinals_fan
September 17th, 2008, 02:24 AM
I just throw them onto my external drive in appropriately named folders. For my website, I use Picasa and export the folders as HTML pages and simply upload them. Finally Picasa works with linux, so I don't have to boot back into windows to use it
I like GQview because it is lightweight and has nice tagging features. I use Picasa to upload photos to my web album.

F-Spot is the creature of darkness :twisted:

mips
September 17th, 2008, 08:07 AM
She had a Canon Rebel 35mm for a long time and took some great shots.

I think that if she used a film SLR before she will not have hassles with a digital slr as the basic principles are the same. A bridge camera (non-slr) might frustrate a slr user as some things are just not the same & slower.

I own a so called bridge camera but much prefer handling a slr.

Saint Angeles
September 17th, 2008, 08:55 AM
i LIKE photography... but i'm not ready for a relationship.

Dragonbite
September 17th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I'm an amateur photographer. My Olympus works underwater, but it's still a pretty crummy camera.

I am currently using Picasa, but it is a tossup between Picasa and Digikam. I don't like the way F-Spot sorts the pictures (yyyy/mm/dd..?) I prefer to group them in albums.

I know she would be better suited for an SLR, but things have come up and I'm not sure we can afford one right at this moment, which is why I have been toying of a "bridge" camera for myself that she can use to get used to the digital aspect of digital photography.

Then, theoretically, when she gets her SLR she'll already have an idea how digital photography works. Believe me, she will need some help getting started, but once she knows what she's doing.... whoa!

Bölvaður
September 17th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I don't see how this launchpad group (https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-photographers) works and what the point of it is.

fiddledd
September 17th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I know she would be better suited for an SLR, but things have come up and I'm not sure we can afford one right at this moment, which is why I have been toying of a "bridge" camera for myself that she can use to get used to the digital aspect of digital photography.

So the one I recommended in my first post didn't impress you then?

mips
September 17th, 2008, 04:51 PM

I can highly recommend Fuji cameras, just make sure you get the right one. I still have my legendry S602z.

Mr. Picklesworth
September 17th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Here's another one :)

My dad is a professional photographer, so I ended up quite interested as well. I somehow got a Canon AV-1 film SLR, which I used for ages. Ultimately the metal crank for the winder broke (of all things), and so I recently replaced it with another Canon: The Digital Rebel XSi (or EOS 450D, since I don't like their marketing).

Still figuring it all out, but so far the thing is great. Astounding battery life, great pictures and some excellent attention to detail.

I use F-Spot to organize my photos. It looks like a simplistic program, but I find that the tagging hierarchy helps me to replicate any functionality from other programs. (Although it would be nice if some extensions made certain tags, like locations or authors, easier to manage, and there are a few minor oddities with the way it treats the tag hierarchy...).

On that thought, I think I have the coolest list of tags ever:

Slideshow

Wallpaper

People (with the obvious list of people I know)

Places -> Mars
Places -> Earth -> Costa Rica, Sun Peaks

Events -> blah blah blah

Adjectives -> Bright, Cute, Desolate, Lush, Funny, Young...

Art -> CG, Photography

Author -> Myself, The Interwebs

Things -> Airplanes, Boats
Things -> Spacecraft
Things -> Animals -> Bees, Cats, Crows, Ducks
Things -> Crowds, Cars
Things -> Plants -> Foxglove, Grass, Lavender, Trees (-> Maple)

That's about a quarter of them. I love this program :)

Dixon Bainbridge
September 17th, 2008, 06:41 PM
[...] great pictures and some excellent attention to detail.

That's down to you, not the camera. Any camera can take great shots, not every photographer can. :)

Northsider
September 17th, 2008, 06:48 PM
^^ Very true. (but it certainly helps!)

Dragonbite
September 17th, 2008, 07:27 PM

Didn't say that.. it looks great! It's $289 in Amazon (US). That's what I'm thinking of for a "bridge" camera for me (or am I using the term "bridge camera" incorrectly?).

We would probably be more apt to look at getting a camera if my daughter didn't decide to look at the water in the toilet tank (followed by dropping the lid INTO the thank and thereby putting a nice sized hole in the bottom for all of the water to run out!)

btw.. what's the difference between SLR and DSLR?

mips
September 17th, 2008, 08:10 PM
btw.. what's the difference between SLR and DSLR?

SLR=film, DSLR=digital, hence the 'D' :)

Dragonbite
September 17th, 2008, 09:11 PM
SLR=film, DSLR=digital, hence the 'D' :)

Oh.. so I'm looking for a DSLR for my wife.

Thanks.

Dixon Bainbridge
September 17th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Oh.. so I'm looking for a DSLR for my wife.

Thanks.

This might help:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=888577

t0p
September 17th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I've been into photography for a long time. Over 10 years. I've had several film cameras, the most recent being a Pentax SF7. It was very cheap, second hand. Most film cameras are cheap nowadays. But I haven't used it in a long time. I can't be bothered with developing film any more.

I've got hundreds of shots on slides and prints. One day I'm gonna get all my slides scanned and I'll upload them to the internet. When I do, I'll post the link on this site somewhere so all my fellow ubuntu-photographers can see my handiwork.

I also own a digital bridge camera - a Fujifilm S5700. It's got a 10X zoom built-in, and 7 megapixels. It takes pretty good pix. But I haven't used it much. Boring real life concerns have been eating up far too much of my time over the past couple of years! :mad: I've uploaded a few shots to Flickr (http://www.flickr.com)... you can see my photostream at http://www.flickr.com/photos/t0p/. Go check 'em out and feel free to comment!

I intend to get back properly into my photography this autumn, and joining these ubuntu photographic groups may help give me incentive. I've joined the Launchpad group, and also the social group at this link (http://ubuntuforums.org/group.php?groupid=285). So how do these groups work? Are we going to set up events n stuff? And how about an online gallery for members? Is there one? If so, what's the link? And if there isn't one - let's make one!!

jespdj
September 17th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Where are the pictures :(

http://jesper.fotopic.net :)

I use a Canon EOS 5D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS and EF 70-200 f/4 L IS (and other stuff).
(The new 5D Mark II (http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos5dmarkII/) looks cool...).

(I'm not a professional photographer).

Dr Small
September 17th, 2008, 10:45 PM
I am an amature photographer, but still enjoy snapping shots.

Erdaron
September 18th, 2008, 12:29 AM
I've recently upgraded to Canon Digital Rebel DSLR from an old Canon PowerShot A510 (back when 3.2 MP was pretty cool). The PowerShot has gone everywhere, taken quite a beating over the years, and still performs well. And for a mainstream camera, PowerShot certainly has a lot of manual settings that you could use, not to mention that Canon opened its driver and people put together remote-control software for making HDR pictures a lot easier.

I love the Rebel, though. Say what you will about it being about the photographer and not the camera, but my pictures got a lot better since I've gotten the Rebel. Some things you just can't do with a pocket camera.

You can see some of my work on dA (http://erdaron.deviantart.com/).

Mr. Picklesworth
September 18th, 2008, 04:21 AM
That's down to you, not the camera. Any camera can take great shots, not every photographer can. :)

Ah, but I find digital can be a bit finicky with hazy images, purple fringing around light spots, forcing one to scale an image down to about half its initial size to conceal the results. This one seems to do well at avoiding that.
Oh, and it simulates depth of field in the viewfinder. I'm told cameras have been doing that for ages, but my AV-1 didn't so I obsess over that feature like it's some kind of miracle -- moreso than the high res digital images.

For attention to detail I mean little touches like a simple proximity sensor above the screen so that it flicks off when I'm using the viewfinder, and the nice controls for its interface. That's another topic though :)

Dixon Bainbridge
September 18th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I love the Rebel, though. Say what you will about it being about the photographer and not the camera, but my pictures got a lot better since I've gotten the Rebel. Some things you just can't do with a pocket camera.

Good cameras make great shots easier to achieve. They still need someone to take the pictures.

SLR/DSLR has better glass and metering than compacts, so your shots should be cleaner, sharper and faster than with a compact. But the camera cant frame and compose a shot on its own, no matter how good or expensive the camera is.

rbolio
September 22nd, 2008, 06:39 PM
Hahaha just saw the thread and had no doubts about joining up....

I'm not an amateur nor pro fotographer....more like midways hehehe....

So; add one mexican fotographer to your list XD

FYI : I use a Nikon d70s

uberdonkey5
September 22nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
yes

Dragonbite
September 22nd, 2008, 07:28 PM
I'm not an amateur nor pro fotographer....more like midways hehehe....
So you're semi-professional.?

pp.
September 22nd, 2008, 07:46 PM
I do like photography, and I own a bunch of cameras, digital and real ones.

Yesterday I've seen my first Daguerrotypie ever. I was thunderstruck. The resolution, gradation and contrast are something to behold. Makes pics on LCD about as realistic as an etch-a-sketch and paper prints about as sophisticated as finger paint.

Dragonbite
September 22nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
I do like photography, and I own a bunch of cameras, digital and real ones.

Yesterday I've seen my first Daguerrotypie ever. I was thunderstruck. The resolution, gradation and contrast are something to behold. Makes pics on LCD about as realistic as an etch-a-sketch and paper prints about as sophisticated as finger paint.

What is "Daguerrotypie "?

pp.
September 22nd, 2008, 08:50 PM
What is "Daguerrotypie "?

Daguerreotype
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The daguerreotype (original French: daguerréotype) is an early type of photograph, developed by Louis Daguerre, in which the image is exposed directly onto a mirror-polished surface of silver bearing a coating of silver halide particles deposited by iodine vapor

Sorry, here's the English term.

Soldierboy
November 22nd, 2008, 02:26 PM
I just purchased a Canon Rebel EOS XS w/ 18-55mm IS Lens Kit ($480 shipped). Can't wait for it to get here! I'm currently no photographer but am wanting to get into it. I've heard rave reviews about this camera as a great "entry level" camera. I will post some amateur work soon.

Northsider
November 24th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I joined the launchpad group.

soldierboy, I think you will have fun with that camera :-]

dat311
December 4th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Yes, another happy amateur photographer here. I only have film cameras, an Olympus XA and a Pentax ME-Super SLR with a couple of lenses. I often hang around at rangefinderforum.com, which is great for photography luddites. Speaking of which, who can recommend a good film scanner for use with Ubuntu?

Cheers,
Steve

ozzyprv
June 3rd, 2009, 02:36 AM
Just about to join the launchpad group too.

See you all there!

megamania
June 11th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Just about to join the launchpad group too.

A few days ago I posted a request for a new photography subforum here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1155756

If we show enough interest, maybe we'll convince the moderators...

radi0j0hn
July 13th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I teach and write/talk (radio) about digital photography a lot, but my roots go WAY back in film photography.

I've warmed up to GIMP, but still like a (free) Windows program called Photofiltre, which runs just fine under WINE. www.photofiltre.com and look to the left side for the link to the free version V6.

I recently got a little USB slide/neg copier that is really just a 5MP camera with an illuminated base. Works for me, but I cannot find a Linux program that recognises it. Any ideas?

John [url]www.acpress.com

Muffinabus
July 13th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I've a Canon A-1 that I like to play around with sometimes (:! It's a super nice, old, film camera that's in perfect condition. I haven't done anything with it lately though.

Gizenshya
July 13th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I would like to learn more about photography. I really don't know anything hahaha

I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ7 (someone mentioned earlier that they once had one). I've had it for about 2 years, and I like it. I don't have the money to upgrade now, though. Unfortunately, I've never had the time to properly edit and publish them online. I might have time soon, though. But I suck, though. Probably somewhere between 1 in 20 and 1 in 100 are decent :p I've only taken a few that I really like (out of about 5k...).

any good tutorials or resources? pdf preferably, or sites (or forum posts I suppose :p ).

:)

handy
July 14th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I've had a couple of Olympus OM-2's as I drowned one of them with only a few drops of water whilst standing on rocks in a river rapid. I have 35-80 & a 150-300 lens & 2x converter, plus the standard 50ml lenses of course. It is redundant technology now, & worth all but nothing!

I also have a Fuji, can't remember what it's called, it is not a DSLR, it has the 10x optical zoom, weighs nothing & works fine, except often when I try to use the macro ability I just can't get the thing to focus on the subject.

I'll be moving to a Nikon D90 as soon as I can afford it, probably a couple of months yet. It looks like a great bit of gear which if I choose, will allow me to choose from the 11 different focal points, just which one I want to use. :)

For anyone unfamiliar with his site, KenRockwell.com, offers great unbiased photographic info'.

Also, for anyone who uses OS X, there is a fantastic piece of software called DxO which will batch process your files & correct the imperfections produced by your camera & lense(s), if they are supported.