PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation does simply nothing

Sanix
September 16th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I tried to install Ubuntu on my laptop. The newest version 8.04 is it I reckon. When I press the button install ubuntu, it tries to load the kernel but it does simply nothing after it reached 100%. After a while, it simply restarts the computer and nothing has happened. When I tried to install it in English, I got once the error message casper/vmlinuz, but just once. I googled and figured out, that it should only happen with flash drives. But I'm trying to install it from CD.

oilchangeguy
September 16th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I tried to install Ubuntu on my laptop. The newest version 8.04 is it I reckon. When I press the button install ubuntu, it tries to load the kernel but it does simply nothing after it reached 100%. After a while, it simply restarts the computer and nothing has happened. When I tried to install it in English, I got once the error message casper/vmlinuz, but just once. I googled and figured out, that it should only happen with flash drives. But I'm trying to install it from CD.

computer specs please.

Sanix
September 16th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Dell Precision M60

Systemname M60
Systemhersteller Dell Computer Corporation
Systemmodell Precision M60
Systemtyp X86-based PC
Prozessor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~1993 Mhz

RAM 2'048.00 MB

Graphic card NVIDIA Quadro FX Go1000

Harddisk
Name Intel(R) 82801DBM Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CA

Sanix
September 16th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I tried it with the parameter aic7xxx.aic7xxx=no_probe , which should help for some DELL systems. The error differs sometimes now and says someting like casper/initgz or similar

dkann
September 16th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Worse yet. I'm trying to install 8.04 on a Dell Optiplex 755 and the installation program reverts to text instead of GUI. Is there an incompatibility with Linux in general or Ubuntu specifically that I should know about? Is there a fix?

Sanix
September 18th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I found out, that it might be the CD Rom drive, which is extremely picky in regards of installing Ubuntu. I used an USB stick to install and it worked now. It might be, that Ubuntu doesn't really support Dell laptop CD drives.