PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] disable auto command-completion in nautilus?

linuxbastler
September 16th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Hi there!

A while ago (I think it was with hoary) ubuntu started to use command completion and directory completion in the nautilus "run" dialog and now since intrepid (alpha6) it also appeared in the various file manager windows.

Is there a way to disable it?

Motivation: I really like the idea of command completion, I just don't want it to happen automatically. My system (especially the hdd) is a little on the slow side and usually under heavy load, therefore the automatic completion takes rather long. On the other hand I type very quickly, so I regularly end up trying to start "amarokarok", "operara" and "firefoxx" because I don't look at what I type and command completion kicks in attempting to assist me. Of course in return the system throws a "command not found" message at me.
This is really annoying, especially when you're in a hurry and know exactly what you are doing!

It's a nice idea, but the delay before it kicks in is highly dependant on system load, which makes it pretty unpredictable.
The way it is now I always have to type a few letters, then wait a few seconds to see what command completion comes up with and only then hit enter.
Ultimately I'd be faster just typing the entire executable's name by hand.

Back when command completion first appeared in ubuntu's GUI it used to just suggest completed commands, writing them out, but keeping the letters highlighted that one had not yet typed. Therefore it was possible to "accept the suggestion" by doing nothing or pressing an arrow key, but it was also possible to just ignore the suggestion and keep typing in the rest of the command manually. I really liked that. Does anyone know why it was dropped or how to get it back?