PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrading to ubuntu 8.10

ubockto
September 16th, 2008, 10:28 AM
When the new version of Ubuntu is released, would it automatically via the update manager, upgrade my version of Ubuntu?

pmlxuser
September 16th, 2008, 10:33 AM
it depends on which version of ubuntu you have got but YEAh that the way it works. once a new version is out it becomes available in the Synaptic Package Manager/ Update manager for you to just do a distro upgrade..

WRDN
September 16th, 2008, 10:38 AM
If you are using Ubuntu 8.04 currently, then when Intrepid Ibex is released, the update will appear in the Update Manager. If you are using a previous version, then you must upgrade through the versions- for example, if you were running Gutsy Gibbon (7.10) then you would have to upgrade to 8.04 then 8.10.

If you wish to upgrade now to the Intrepid Alpha release, then open the Terminal and type:

sudo update-manager -d

Note that this is not recommended for production machines.

ubockto
September 16th, 2008, 10:40 AM
If you are using Ubuntu 8.04 currently, then when Intrepid Ibex is released, the update will appear in the Update Manager. If you are using a previous version, then you must upgrade through the versions- for example, if you were running Gutsy Gibbon (7.10) then you would have to upgrade to 8.04 then 8.10.

If you wish to upgrade now to the Intrepid Alpha release, then open the Terminal and type:

sudo update-manager -d

Note that this is not recommended for production machines.

Thanks, but I tend to avoid all alphas and betas like the plague, for obvious buggy reasons

Archmage
September 16th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I think in the Update-Manger is a setting. That you will either be notice when the next release (8.10) will come out or only when the next LTS (10.04?) will come out.

theozzlives
October 2nd, 2008, 05:55 PM
When the next release comes out (10-30) you'll be notified in the Update MManager.

lazyart
October 2nd, 2008, 07:48 PM
Consider the release a bit of a beta, and give it a couple weeks before installing it. A couple weeks of waiting sure beats a couple weeks of troubleshooting.

Sef
October 3rd, 2008, 02:19 AM
Before upgrading make sure that you are up-to-date with all the latest packages from the updater.

bruceb85
October 3rd, 2008, 03:28 AM
I've been running 8.04 LTS. Should I ditch the LTS, which I'm very happy with, and upgrade to 8.10? What's the advantage is the new upgrade over an LTS?