PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu/Canonical booth at VMWorld...

toupeiro
September 16th, 2008, 07:20 AM
I was excited to see Ubuntu have a presence at this years VMWorld conference, and it seems many others were, but people there whom I talked to seemed to have an interesting "tone" about them when addressing the ubuntu community. When they saw the logo on my shirt, they were very eager to talk to me and were curious if we were using Ubuntu internally within my company. When I turned to my involvement with various parts of FOSS projects surrounding Ubuntu, and before I could begin to explain how I was planning to introduce Ubuntu as an important infrastructure consideration, I got interrupted and told "Oh, so you're part of our Online Ubuntu Community, and turned his back towards me and greeted some other guy who just wanted an ubuntu pin..

I didn't realize my free time involvements in FOSS translated to the fact that I was not there representing my company and that I am not interested in spending money.

Still, I was excited to see ubuntu have a presense at the conference, but I kind of walked away with a bad taste in my mouth about the attitude I received.

I hope this is not a a representation of what it means to do business with Canonical. That might be enough for me to stay the course with RHEL, which at the time is our primary Linux OS.

Anyway, just sharing. I'd be interested in hearing anyone elses feedback and experiences that talked with the Canonical guys this evening.

-T.