PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have become Addicted

modmadmike
September 16th, 2008, 03:49 AM
How many of you have become Addicted, I know I have!

zmjjmz
September 16th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Addicted to what?
Heroine?

cardinals_fan
September 16th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Er... to what?

Addicted to what?
Heroine?
Don't joke about that; I still remember when some heroin dealers lived next door *shudder*

david_lynch
September 16th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Er... to what?

To linux of course.

Hello my name is David and I'm a linux addict.:guitar:

ODF
September 16th, 2008, 03:55 AM
I'm not, I love my Arch linux as I like and find ubuntu interesting. There's so many things more important than that in my head ... like the family inc, my girlfriend ... and my hobbies if I'm lucky.

I would like to build myself an other track car to do some lapping but time is an issue. =/

david_lynch
September 16th, 2008, 03:56 AM
I'm not, I love my Arch linux as I like and find ubuntu interesting. There's so many things more important than that in my head ... like the family inc, my girlfriend ... and my hobbies if I'm lucky.

Sure there are more important things - but that wasn't the question was it?

ODF
September 16th, 2008, 03:57 AM
Sure there are more important things - but that wasn't the question was it?

If you have more important things, so you dont have time. If you can't afford the time allowed for it, you can't be addict :)

MaindotC
September 16th, 2008, 03:58 AM
I'm totally addicted. I'm on a Windows + T60/61 campus and I work in a Windows shop part time and everyone is always giving me <expletive> because I don't use Windows. I've actually spent WAY too much time in *nix because this semester I have to integrate *nix clients into a Windows domain and I completely forgot how to write LDAP queries in Server 08. I wouldn't trade it for the world, though :)

Greyed
September 16th, 2008, 03:59 AM
To linux of course.

I'll be addicted to Linux the day it enables my gaming addiction.

modmadmike
September 16th, 2008, 04:08 AM

As soon as the game developers decide to do this then it will happen, but unfortunately they wont because in THEIR minds linux ain't a big enough community and nor is OSX:(

zmjjmz
September 16th, 2008, 04:38 AM
As soon as the game developers decide to do this then it will happen, but unfortunately they wont because in THEIR minds linux ain't a big enough community and nor is OSX:(

But there's more to it than that.
A lot of their games are written in DirectX, and porting them to OpenGL to run them on Linux is generally a PITA, considering the sophistication of today's games.

david_lynch
September 16th, 2008, 04:56 AM
LOL I've been gaming in linux since doom came out. I'm certainly more addicted to gaming than you, and my genre of choice is 3D FPS from doom 1, doom 2, doom 3, quake, quake 2, quake 3, quake 4, RtCW and others.

I have one hard fast rule: I game only on linux.

david_lynch
September 16th, 2008, 04:57 AM
But there's more to it than that.
A lot of their games are written in DirectX, and porting them to OpenGL to run them on Linux is generally a PITA, considering the sophistication of today's games. The best games are written in OpenGL anyway. :guitar:

BOBSONATOR
September 16th, 2008, 05:27 AM
I am a linux addict. I cannot stop changing the looks/themes of my desktop

Greyed
September 16th, 2008, 06:03 AM
I'm certainly more addicted to gaming than you,

I dunno, I remember building Pinball machines on my Tandy TRS-80 Color Computer 1 back in 1980.... 1983? Somewhere around there. ;)

Ohh, better reference... I never got past level 2 on Dungeons of Daggaroth...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_of_Daggorath

SomeGuyDude
September 16th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Addicted to what?
Heroine?

Heroine? Like... Wonder Woman?

david_lynch
September 16th, 2008, 06:40 AM
I dunno, I remember building Pinball machines on my Tandy TRS-80 Color Computer 1 back in 1980.... 1983? Somewhere around there. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_of_DaggorathYou probably have me beat on some of the old stuff. But for 3D FPS I have found nobody as much into it as I am, apart from 13-17 year old hard core gamers. I've played quake until 5 am, then caught some sleep before work. I've sat down and played from morning til dark without ever getting up.

I'm telling you, I'm an addict.

ChanServ
September 16th, 2008, 06:46 AM
when I boot into windows, I can only take it for about a couple hours, so yah I'd say I'm addicted to linux.

pbpersson
September 16th, 2008, 07:04 AM
OH MY GOSH

I just realized....I have been using Linux as my primary OS for an entire year now! :-o

\\:D/

You know.....I never thought I would see the day. :guitar:

This has been a fun ride.....and I just converted over from VB.NET to Java development so now all my future applications that I create will work in Linux. :)

clanky
September 16th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Try this

sudo apt-get a_life

It's just an operating system for pitty's sake, if you are addicted to any piece of computer software then you need to get out more.

Greyed
September 16th, 2008, 09:25 AM
It's just kayaking for pity's sake. If you're addicted to half-drowning you need to come in more!

modmadmike
September 16th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Hey I have my own sport: Mountan Biking/Biking :lolflag:

stinger30au
September 16th, 2008, 11:46 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_of_Daggorath

me too. i was a coconut.... in fact i still have all my coco's in storage.
OS9 level 1 was my introduction to Unix in the late 1980's on my 64k coco 1

Eventually installed a Tony DiStefano 1 meg upgrade for my coco 3 running OS9 Level 2 version 2....

aaahh yess those were the days

i enjoyed Dungeons of Daggorath as well. It was definately a very popular game for the coco

beercz
September 16th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Try this

sudo apt-get a_lifeIt's just an operating system for pitty's sake, if you are addicted to any piece of computer software then you need to get out more.
Absolutely!! Could not agree more.

Nozze
September 16th, 2008, 11:58 AM
when I boot into windows, I can only take it for about a couple hours, so yah I'd say I'm addicted to linux.

I know exactly what you mean. After 1 hour the ithces start, and the only thing that can cure it is a *nix computer.

Im a Linux gamer who loves Wine. Have'nt found a game that does'nt work yet.

Greyed
September 16th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Im a Linux gamer who loves Wine. Have'nt found a game that does'nt work yet.

WoW, Steam (esp. TF2)... ;)

whitefort
September 16th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Addicted to what?
Heroine?

yeah, I confess - I was heavily into Laura Croft at one stage...

antiloop
September 16th, 2008, 12:11 PM
To linux of course.

Hello my name is David and I'm a linux addict.:guitar:

Yes, and I love it.

Mostly Slackware though for the stability.

Try this

sudo apt-get a_life

It's just an operating system for pitty's sake, if you are addicted to any piece of computer software then you need to get out more.

Maybe you are the one in need of a life.

modmadmike
September 16th, 2008, 12:30 PM
WoW, Steam (esp. TF2)... ;)

WoW and Steam run fine on my install maby i'm just uber special, oh and i get 60-80fps and a 19ms connection (for wow of course) and as for Steam, I think I get around 300fps All this is with a nvidia 7600

HousieMousie2
September 16th, 2008, 12:32 PM
**Stands up after David** Hi. My name is Erica and my XP hard drive thinks I don't love it anymore. **Tries to muster some tears... fails** The truth is, I don't. When the GRUB screen loads, I don't wait for the ten seconds to elapse, I hit the enter key right away... so I don't have to wait that much longer before Linux loads.

BTW thanks for the laughs:

clanky, the sudo apt-get a_life was cute

beercz, "The box said 'You need Windows XP or better' .... so I installed linux." had me giggling like a loon... always good at 6:30am when I haven't slept yet!

Greyed
September 16th, 2008, 01:17 PM
WoW and Steam run fine on my install maby i'm just uber special, oh and i get 60-80fps and a 19ms connection (for wow of course) and as for Steam, I think I get around 300fps All this is with a nvidia 7600

Not here. WoW hasn't worked in months and TF2 gets a nice 4fps when it decides to work at all. :P

modmadmike
September 16th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Not here. WoW hasn't worked in months and TF2 gets a nice 4fps when it decides to work at all. :P

what hardware do you have?

beercz
September 16th, 2008, 10:29 PM
..... beercz, "The box said 'You need Windows XP or better' .... so I installed linux." had me giggling like a loon... always good at 6:30am when I haven't slept yet!
Glad you enjoyed it :-)

david_lynch
September 16th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Try this

sudo apt-get a_life

That's easy for you to say. Are you finished being mature at us now?

JillSwift
September 16th, 2008, 10:37 PM
I don't know about addicted. But, I do remember the day I went completely without Windows. I thought to myself: "Golly. It's dark in here."

I've enjoyed Ubuntu and Kubuntu very much, they offer more than just operating systems for me, but a new way to view using my computer. So, where I can't claim addiction per se, I can say I've grown quite fond of Linux and FOSS in general and exploring the operating system and all its nifty tools has become something of a hobby.

Greyed
September 17th, 2008, 05:40 AM
what hardware do you have?

Good enough to run WoW natively at 40-60 fps and TF2 at about the same.

billgoldberg
September 17th, 2008, 07:48 AM
How many of you have become Addicted, I know I have!

I am addicted to cigarettes and coke light, that's about it.

Oh, I'm also quiet fond of computers, but I can quit any time I want!

lol

--
I used to be addicted to Counterstrike Source (and CZ and 1.6), but that has been a few years.

I now only play it a few times a week for an hour or so.
--

And I don't know if this counts as an addiction, but I have to go to the pub in the weekend.

billgoldberg
September 17th, 2008, 07:53 AM
yeah, I confess - I was heavily into Laura Croft at one stage...

Same here.

Especially Tomb Raider 2 on the PSX.

I don't know how long I had searched for the legendary "nude codes". There were none.

At that time the internet was not even available I think. At least, nobody was on it yet.

clanky
September 20th, 2008, 01:12 PM
it's just kayaking for pity's sake. If you're addicted to half-drowning you need to come in more!

take that back, take it back now! :)

handy
September 20th, 2008, 02:25 PM
The Molecules of Emotion by Candace Pert, says that we are addicted to everything. Our cells have a huge driving force with regard to how we relate to everything in our environment. We are all creatures of addiction.

Most of the addictions we have we don't recognize, let alone call them addictions. I know I have been addicted to Guild Wars, :-) which I play on Leopard via Crossover Games, because the ATi's Linux drivers still suck (for my GPU anyway). I play Oblivion (another recognized addiction) on Sabayon / Cedega, & I just scored Half Life 2, (most likely a coming adiction) which has been adapted to the Mactel & OSX with Transgaming's Cider.

I have been off Windows for 3 years now. After serving 10 years fixing other people's problems. So I'm really happy to be using Arch, Sabayon, Ubuntu, Ubuntu Studio, Leopard (not as good for me as the Linux kernel based distro's) & whatever else takes my fancy.

The addiction to computers is actually finally (after about 22 years) starting to wear off. Which is good.

I think I might buy a horse & cart & wonder around listening to The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings audio books on my iPod, grow my beard longer & get a big pointy hat & a walking stick. It sounds like a nice thing to get addicted to, to me...

SirBismuth
September 23rd, 2008, 03:05 PM
Every time I am forced to use XP, I get itchy all over. Eventually I can't help it anymore, and have to boot into Linux. Then I am happy again! :D

Eh, and don't even get me started on Vista. There is something inherently evil about that OS.

B