PDA

View Full Version : Is Kubuntu for kids?

jamieh
September 16th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Hey I'm 15.
I go to a "geek school" where everything is done on your laptop instead of paper.

This group of people is starting to get to me. They all use Windows Vista on their laptop, except I use Kubuntu. They insist Kubuntu is for kids because of that "silly green dragon dude" and the way it's covered with gears.

Right now I'm screwing around with the theme, and Compiz-ing it to the bleeding edge. I'll show 'em what OS is for KIDS...

Anyway, my question is do you think KDE is for kids?

I guess I like KDE more than GNOME because It's what I've used since I was 8 :P

Whiffle
September 16th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Mmm, I'm in college, and I use KDE. I guess that makes me a kid?

cardinals_fan
September 16th, 2008, 02:08 AM
I'm 15. I use Slackware and a minimal Xfce setup.

The moral: do whatever you want. Ignore those idiots (unless they're just kidding, in which case you could think of a smart retort).

medic2000
September 16th, 2008, 02:14 AM
And whose Vista for? :D

ryclegman
September 16th, 2008, 02:16 AM
I would say for business? maybe almost every business iv seen uses windows..

niccholaspage
September 16th, 2008, 02:18 AM
I would say KDE is easy to learn for Kids to use. Though it is not just for kids. I can get a guide for installing everything KDE has for compiz. I will find it for you.

compnut41
No, but honestly just tell your friends that KDE is pretty much a windows clone. Only better! :)

aysiu
By that same logic, couldn't you argue Windows is "for kids" because of the search dog and Clippy?

I don't see what the big deal is. Little animals and cute things can be fun (or annoying), but they don't make an interface "for kids."

Considering the amount of computer illiteracy I've seen among many adults, maybe an OS "for kids" is a good thing.

niccholaspage
September 16th, 2008, 02:20 AM
Yeah Like this kid. But I don't think it would count for me because of my experience with a PC.

Dr Small
September 16th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Haha. Well, personally, I never liked KDE because it was too blue and had to many big buttons. But I don't consider it a 'kid's distro' just because of the little green dragon. That's the KDE mascot.

Anyhow, running Openbox and having a terminal open at most times of the day would certainly blow any Windows kid away. Now they say, 'you're a crazy geek living in the Windows 3.0 days!!!'

MaxIBoy
September 16th, 2008, 02:23 AM
*Cough* Xandros *Cough* Puppy *Cough*

So what? Xandros is terrible, Puppylinux is terrific, both have kiddie interfaces, it doesn't matter terribly.

cardinals_fan
September 16th, 2008, 02:37 AM
*Cough* Xandros *Cough* Puppy *Cough*

So what? Xandros is terrible, Puppylinux is terrific, both have kiddie interfaces, it doesn't matter terribly.
Puppy is a good distro, but its interface is definitely rather condescending.

MaxIBoy
September 16th, 2008, 02:41 AM
You'll never catch me installing it, but I swear by it as a liveCD.

I become more picky when I'm actually going to be installing something, but in this case it's because the interface isn't functional for me (and I prefer apt.) That's why I've stuck with GNOME even though there are a number of much more lightweight and more beautiful-looking alternatives.

Besides, you'll never beat OS X for interface condescension.

cardinals_fan
September 16th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Besides, you'll never beat OS X for interface condescension.
What, you don't know about Microsoft Bob (http://toastytech.com/guis/bob.html)?

Northsider
September 16th, 2008, 06:08 AM
KDE is for kids? I guess... Sort of like how anime "is for kids"...? There are some pretty awesome animes out there...

"silly green dragon dude"
Like the ultra hip 4 color wavvy window in XP and Vista are sooo adult... Really who cares as long as it works.

mike1234
September 16th, 2008, 06:12 AM
And whose Vista for? :D

Vampires.

M.

-grubby
September 16th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Hey I'm 15.
I go to a "geek school" where everything is done on your laptop instead of paper.

I'm so jealous :(. I hate paper

EDIT: Also, my handwriting sucks

LaRoza
September 16th, 2008, 06:22 AM
I would say for business? maybe almost every business iv seen uses windows..

Many use Linux somewhere along the line, just that it is too busy working to show off. Even Microsoft relies on Linux!

As for KDE being for kids. Yes it is. However, so is Windows, OS X, GNOME, Xfce, and all such DE's (actually Xfce can be configured like a big person WM)

For an _adult_ setup, see: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5788817&postcount=8

OutOfReach
September 16th, 2008, 06:32 AM
KDE looks a little childish, but not extremely childish, if you know what I am saying.

As for KDE being for kids. Yes it is. However, so is Windows, OS X, GNOME, Xfce, and all such DE's (actually Xfce can be configured like a big person WM)

For an _adult_ setup, see: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...17&postcount=8

touché
Except for the GNOME remark. :)