PDA

View Full Version : Why was my thread jailed?

schauerlich
September 16th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Re: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=920966

I'm not sure why my thread was jailed. I explain in my post that I did not wish to offend the staff by opening a forum that caters to the same community as UF's. I don't really think it qualifies as spam, either, since the CoC says it's okay for forum members in good standing to link to personal sites. I really just started this thread because I thought it was something other people would be interested it.

It has come to my attention that some people view my forums as a replacement for UF's OMGPP. Because of this, I have renamed them "Not OMGPP" and if my thread is reinstated I would ask that it is editing to reflect that.

KiwiNZ
September 16th, 2008, 01:44 AM
We do not allow threads promoting other websites.

schauerlich
September 16th, 2008, 01:49 AM
We do not allow threads promoting other websites.

CoC Section 1 part 5:

If a post or thread contains spam (unsolicited advertising) it will be moved to the forum jail and the poster may be banned. Active users in good standing are allowed to have links to personal sites in their signatures, in their profile, and may post them in threads on occasion (just not often, please) as long as the content of those links does not include abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated material or any other material that may violate any applicable laws.

KiwiNZ
September 16th, 2008, 02:34 AM
You started two threads , Two user ID's to promote your site.
That is going beyond what we will allow

matthew
September 16th, 2008, 02:36 AM
You may have missed this part, in the CoC lines you quoted.

If a post or thread contains spam (unsolicited advertising) it will be moved to the forum jailPosting to advertise another website without first requesting and receiving permission (or doing so unrequested) is spam.

A discreet link in your sig is adequate and permitted.

EDIT: Kiwi, sorry to jump in...I was passing by and thought I would comment. I should have checked if you were still online first.

schauerlich
September 16th, 2008, 02:52 AM
You started two threads , Two user ID's to promote your site.
That is going beyond what we will allow

No I did not. I only started that one thread. I was not online when the first thread was posted and I do not know who started the thread. I think I know who it was and he hasn't denied it but I don't know for sure. I've been telling people not to spam the forums about it and to only contact a few specific members by PM if they though they'd be interested, but I guess some took that a little too far. I'm sorry if this has gotten out of hand but other users of my site are not really under my control here on UF. If you have any users in particular that have acted out of line you may contact me with their names and I will deal with them.

Posting to advertise another website without first requesting and receiving permission (or doing so unrequested) is spam.

I did not think it would be considered advertising my site because I am not selling anything nor do I have any ads on the site. LaRoza also gave me the idea that it would be fine to post about the site from these (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5793956&postcount=142) posts (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5794023&postcount=147) and from communication with other NOMGPP members outside of the forum.

KiwiNZ
September 16th, 2008, 05:23 AM
You may find it useful to read the definition of Advertising
It does not necessarily mean for monetary gain

I did not think it would be considered advertising my site because I am not selling anything nor do I have any ads on the site. LaRoza also gave me the idea that it would be fine to post about the site from these (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5793956&postcount=142) posts (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5794023&postcount=147) and from communication with other NOMGPP members outside of the forum.

schauerlich
September 16th, 2008, 05:34 AM
You may find it useful to read the definition of Advertising
It does not necessarily mean for monetary gain

Advertising is a form of communication that typically attempts to persuade potential customers to purchase or to consume more of a particular brand of product or service.

I was linking to a personal site which is allowed under the CoC. If I started a blog about Ubuntu and decided to link to it would that be considered advertising and therefore worthy of being jailed? Somehow I don't think this is just about the content of my post and it is more about the fact that my site is related to these forums in a way you might not like.

KiwiNZ
September 16th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Or

1: to make something known to : notify
2 a: to make publicly and generally known <advertising their readiness to make concessions> b: to announce publicly especially by a printed notice or a broadcast c: to call public attention to especially by emphasizing desirable qualities so as to arouse a desire to buy or patronize : promote

KiwiNZ
September 16th, 2008, 06:27 AM
After giving this thought and consulting the staff I have moved the thread back the Ponies .

With regards to the two profiles , I got that wrong and I am sorry about the mistake I made.

schauerlich
September 16th, 2008, 06:28 AM
After giving this thought and consulting the staff I have moved the thread back the Ponies .

With regards to the two profiles , I got that wrong and I am sorry about the mistake I made.

Thanks, Mike.

matthew
September 16th, 2008, 06:41 AM
I support the decision and also apologize for the confusion.